Pro Wrestling Only

Top 5's - September Edition

Jesse Ewiak

Thought I'd resurrect this, and hopefully, it'd get a little more love than the August edition did. Anyway...

Top 5 Fed's.

1.) Southwest - For me, show to show, Southwest most feels like what stumbling on a random territorial show is like among the active writers. Other people get very, very close (and Kris writing Georgia when it was active was probably even closer), but of the little Southwest I've seen, you could drop a description of a Southwest show goc has written onto Wrestlingclassics and you'd probably get away with it, aside from the David Von Erich heel run.

2.) Mid-Atlantic - Beast is consistent, has a great roster, great feuds, and of course, the future World Champ. And the thing is, the past few months has largely been set-up, on to Starrcade as it gets closer.

3.) Toronto/IWF - With McParv's falls, we have the rise of Grimtunney. For a show full of a lot of people I don't really know, and other people that had wildly different runs, this Toronto is a very different, but very impressive alt-WWF. Plus, Riki Choshu as champ! Awesome!

4.) AWA - Probably one of the most loaded rosters in the game for their area, if Verne doesn't screw the booking up, the AWA might actually survive this era of history. Hogan brawling with OMG, Da' Crusha being Da Crusha, Vinnie Valentino, The Road Warriors killing fools, what could work better among the hard working blue collar fans of the Upper Midwest?

5.) WWA - In reality, almost any of the active feds could be in here, but I got to give props to JHawk for integrating the Central States roster ably into his Lower Midwest crew.

Top 5 Feud's.

1.) Martel vs. Valentine/Koloff/Ventura - I know this isn't the official feud, but basically Martel vs. Top Heel's is money, money, money

2.) JYD-DiBiase - LowBlow built it up great, and the Superdome 'blowoff' that wasn't a blowoff was awesome.

3.) Texas Dynasty-Fantastics - In a game full of awesome tag feuds, this is the best, and the even better thing is it's continuing on down the road.

4.) Midnight's-Rougeau's - Remember what I said about tag feuds that will only get better? Yup yup.

5.) Armstrong's vs. The Flame + Friend's - Despite being a bit of a placeholder feud for Southeastern, it has worked really well, and will hopefully remain hot in the transition to the bigger Southeastern territory.

Top 5 Face's

1.) Rick Martel

2.) Rougeau's

3.) Hulk Hogan

4.) Junkyard Dog

5.) Ric Flair (Mid-Atlantic only)

Top 5 Heel's

1.) Texas Dynasty - Not just because one of 'em is a Von Erich

2.) Jesse Ventura

3.) Midnight Express

4.) One Man Gang

5.) Super Russian / Greg Valentine

I will contribute to this with the caveat that I'm not gonna number these because I already got enough people mad at me

Top 5 Feds

Southeastern - I think it's well established that this is my favorite territory IRL so the bar was set higher for me to like Southeastern in this game than any of the other territories. Boon has done a great job staying true to Southeastern and way exceeded my expectations of what a British guy could accomplish with the most southern rasslin territory of them all. Really great mix of talent although I'm slightly concerned about what's going to happen with the big influx of talent who don't really "fit" in my Alabama rasslin.

Montreal - There are more people in this territory that I have never seen on tape and don't know than any other promotion in the game but dawho has done a great job in fleshing out some of their characters and giving me an idea of who they are. Very heavy focus on tag teams which I like because my promotion is also tag team heavy and now he's ridiculously loaded in that department with all the trades from the WWF merger.

AWA - Very talented roster and a great use of them up and down the card. Even the undercard stuff in the AWA gets fleshed out and developed with acts like The Minnesota Heartbreakers and The Latin Lovers getting some shine even underneath a huge top heavy roster with Hogan, The Road Warriors, OMG, Ken Patera etc. That's a big feather in rainmaker's cap to get such good stuff out of guys who would most likely just be random jobbers on other rosters.

WWA - This is definitely the biggest IRL rags to fantasy riches promotion in the game. Real life WWA was damn near dead in 1983 but JHawk has revived it with a roster that has a lot of variety and some interesting feuds. The Central States merger was a big help in bolstering the roster but it was already quite good before that.

WCCW - Jesse is caught up through September now so I think it's fair to put him in. The Texas Title tournament was really good stuff, the introduction of Al Madril and him joining Devastation Inc was well done and Bad News continues to be one of the top heels in the whole game.

Top 5 Feuds

Von Erichs/Bad News - Bad News killing off David Von Erich set things in motion for a serious issue between him and The Von Erich family. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the fact that he's outnumbered in the fight and him trash talking Fritz has been a lot of fun.

Road Warriors/Wild Bills - I'm a big fan of The Wild Bills team that rainmaker put together and I think this feud has done a great job of building up The Road Warriors to eventually have a really big moment when (if?) the finally take the World Tag Team Titles.

Midnights/Rougeaus - This has really picked up steam in the last month with The Midnights beat down on Armand and Creahman's interactions with Jacques Sr. The Midnight Express may have just won the titles but I know this feud is far from over.

Armstrong vs. Flame, Fire & Torch - This is only just getting started but it's already a hot (ha ha) feud and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. The Armstrongs would seem to be at a disadvantage in this fight with young Scott Armstrong being a bit of a weak link against the 3 big masked men so I'm interested to see how things play out.

Dory Funk vs. Jack Brisco - I'm still digging this feud although I've now switched to rooting for Dory over Jack. Jack crossed the line when he ended Terry's career and I'm hoping Dory gets some revenge for his younger brother.

Top 5 Faces

Hulk Hogan

Bob Armstrong

Tito Santana

The Rougeaus

Rick Martel

Top 5 Heels

Bad News

The Midnight Express

The Wild Bills

Stud Stable

Larry Zybszko