Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-05-05-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Intercontinental Champion Tito Santana vs Greg "The Hammer" Valentine - WWF, Philly 5/5/84

By watching this match, I have watched every major recorded match these two had during their red hot 84-85 feud. The first two matches in the series are from Philly and are from before the feud really gets kicked off when Valentine breaks Tito's leg with the figure-4 and then Tito swears revenge by learning the figure-4 to break The Hammer's leg, which I still think is like the coolest angle ever. I think besides the cage match that these Philly matches are better than the MSG matches, which feel more like angle advancement. These matches are hard-hitting, almost shoot-style contests. I am going to go back and finish this series off, but that's my recollection. When Greg Valentine initially gets Tito in the corner and just pops him hard with elbows and then just tears into Tito's knee, I fell in love with The Hammer all over again. He is just the consummate bruiser. He was introduced as the master of the figure-4 and wasted not time targetting the leg. Tito sold the pain, but it was early enough that he was going to fight back and fight back he did with shoulder tackles. Valentine caught with a quick uppercut and then in as true heel started to attack the throat. It is such a cheap and nasty thing to do. He dropped Tito throat first on the top rope, dropped elbows and did the little catapult move that is so nasty. Santana was fighting back, but also selling by coughing really well. Once Santana could get a head of steam he blasted him with the Flying Burrito and then he just came at him with those fists of fury. Valentine started to go toe-to-toe with him but quickly realized that begging off maybe more effective. Santana caught his kick, spun him around and absolutely levelled him with a right. It was a perfect worked punch. I love that in desperation Valentine got the knee up when Santana charged into the corner he immediately went for the figure-4. He knew that he almost lost the match and it was now or never he needed to take the opportunity to win the match with his best shot. Furthermore, when Tito valiantly kicked him off, Valentine remained undetered and just tortured the leg of Santana, who kicking off with all his might. It was intense struggle and that was incredibly gripping to watch to see who came out the better. The finish of the match was incredible. Tito Santana took a HUGE HOLY SHIT BUMP! I thought they were going to do the whole crossbody and the momentum takes both men over, but Tito fucking clears Valentine and just went flying to the outside with nothing to break his fall. I thought that was the finish, but then he got back on the apron and they have a war on the apron. Valentine just grabs and him crotches him on the rope. This was not any crotch job. The Hammer threw him down balls-first on this top rope. I don't how much that Tito even had to "sell" he might have just been in straight up pain. This is just badass, logical pro wrestling that builds drama based on the strengths of both wrestlers it grips you as the match takes different turns. I think I liked the March Philly match a hair better, but awesome stuff again. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

Yeah this was right at the level of the March match. Valentine's selling when Tito fires away at him is so great. The way he takes just one shot to the jaw and milks it and finds that line between begging off and finding that sneak opening to assert control again. Valentine hits a nasty short punch after grabbing a headlock, later slingshots Tito's neck into the bottom rope and that looked painful too.

In these first two matches there is a feeling of inevitability that Valentine is going to find a way to exploit that one major mistake or injury from Tito and grab the belt. Here Tito takes a ridiculous bump just flying out of control over the top rope to the floor off a missed flying forearm. I thought maybe they would go for a countout but they do the DQ with Valentine crotching Tito on the rope. So again we get a non-clean finish but one that keeps Valentine looking strong when the match ends.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-05-05-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine