Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-09-30-AWA-St. Paul, MN] Nick Bockwinkel & Mr Saito vs Fabulous Ones

Superstar Sleeze

Nick Bockwinkel & Mr. Saito vs The Fabulous Ones - AWA 9/30/84

So I am bitching & moaning in the Rock N Roll Express matches that they are too long, well guess what this was way too short. Wow! This was a humdinger of a tag team match. I was absolutely loving every minute of this and did not want it to end. These four were just being absolute dicks to each other. This felt very Japanese. Yes, it was double face in peril with the Fabs playing FIP, Fabs were double teaming and being pricks right with Bock & Saito. Plus there was constant nonstop run ins from the partners and just a general sense of competition and struggle. I really enjoyed it. Bock jumpstarts the match and sets the tone by dragging Keirn over to their corner and they immediately start double teaming and choking Keirn. It was just nonstop asshole tactics. You can hear Lane shout to the ref to restore some order. He had his hands full with these four. Lane bites his tongue for a bit. Bock & Saito are looking for the win early by applying the sleeper repeatedly. Keirn keeps fighting back, but has really been double teamed hard. He has to fight his way over to Lane. Lane kicks some serious ass. Lots of karate and dropkicks. A hot tag that does not end in 30 seconds!!! Thank The Lord! I think the face shine after a short heat segment is a really great idea. I think that's my major malfunction with the RnR matches is the heat segment right into another heat segment it becomes like 80% heat segment. The Fabs just throw everything back in Bock's face in glorious fashion. There is choking, double teaming, teeing off on him and just steeping on his face. Bock is such a champ at selling all this. When Bock makes the ropes, Lane yanks him by the hair and then he puts on the SLEEPER! They paid him back in every way. Saito chop Lane on the sleeper so Keirn yanks Bock back over to their corner. Saito blasts Lane. Bock is able to crawl to get a cover for 2. He then drives his thumb into the throat so Saito can get tag in. Saito promptly goes for the Scorpion Deathlock so Keirn comes over and blasts him! This is fucking awesome! BACKDROP DRIVER! Saito back for the Scorpion Deathlock and Bock pushes on Saito's head and Keirn is exhorting Lane. Lane powers out. Lane tries to crawl over and Bock is right on it with figure-4. Keirn drops the elbow. That means he is not there for the tag! Saito double judo chop and Bock punches him in the gut. One angry women wonders where the ref who she calls a "fat fucker" got his license after that count. They continue to double team Lane in the corner. Lane ab stretch on Bock. Saito baits Keirn in, goes back and then comes crashing down on Lane with a chop. That was a bitchin sequence! They knock heads and Keirn pulls Lane out for the old switcheroo and small packages Bock for the win.

The story of the match is The Fabs went toe to toe with Bock & Saito at their own game and beat them with those underhanded tactics. Sometimes you just got to fight fire with fire. I seriously believe with 5, maybe 10 more minutes this would be contender for best American straight (no gimmicks) tag match of all time. Incredible. I cant go much higher than ****1/2, but cant praise or recommend this enough.

• GSR changed the title to [1984-09-30-AWA-St. Paul, MN] Nick Bockwinkel & Mr Saito vs Fabulous Ones