Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Presents: STARRCADE 1983

LowBlowPodcast

Starrcade83_program.jpg

Starrcade 1983

December 25th

Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, South Carolina

Vince%20McMahon_zpszwue2xri.jpgTonySchiavone5.jpg

Vince McMahon: Ladies and gentlemen, I am standing here in the Greensboro Coliseum and it is electric. I am joined with Tony Schiavone. Tony, tonight we have what many would consider the premiere event in all of professional wrestling. Tonight, the National Wrestling Alliance presents, Starrcade 1983!

Tony Schiavone: Well Vince, I think you and I can both agree that this is the night that will change the scope of professional wrestling. This is the night that fans will be talking about for all times as the moment the sport changed.

Vince: At the head of that change is the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The matchup tonight, Ric Flair challenging Harley Race. Flair of course a former champion, he defeated Dusty Rhodes for the title. Race a seven-time champion. He last defeated Ric Flair for the title. This will be a match for the ages.

Tony: The thing to remember here is that Ric Flair has been chasing the gold for a long time. Race beat him for the title back in June but now this is Flair’s revenge. A lot of people are calling this event, the Flare for the Gold and that may come true here tonight.

Vince: That will be one of seven title matches here tonight. I think everyone is looking forward to those but also the big $100,000 Starrcade Cup Battle Royal!

Tony: Without a doubt Vince. Tonight, 20 of the top wrestlers in the NWA will step into that ring for the Starrcade Cup and $100,000. This is a night that could change one of those men’s live forever.

Vince: Fans I think it is time, we are about to get underway. It is time to head to our announcers for this evening, Jim Ross and Bob Caudle!

BloBozGCIAA0V8E.jpg

Bob Caudle: WELCOME EVERYONE TO STARRCADE 1983! I am Bob Caudle alongside Jim Ross and Jim, we are here live in the Greensboro Coliseum for this monumental night in the sport of professional wrestling!

Jim Ross: Well Bob, we want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays who are joining us here tonight on the hottest ticket in town. The show sold out last night with a big push from all those families looking for a great last minute gift. I think that the NWA will present them with a great present, here tonight!

Bob: That’s right Jim. Tonight, seven titles on the line. Tonight we will see a man either lose his hair or lose his mask. We’ve got the big six-man tag and of course, the $100,000 on the line in the Starrcade Cup!

Jim: This is the night that Tony Schiavone said would change the sport and I’ve got to agree with him. Throughout history, there have been big cards that have drawn in a lot of people but never before has there been a gathering like this.

Bob: Everyone is looking forward to the main event here tonight… the NWA World Title on the line, Ric Flair challenging Harley Race.

Jim: Race is the man that took the title from Flair in the past. These two men along with Dusty Rhodes have held that title and been in the mix. We know Dusty will be at the top of a long list of challengers when this one is said and done tonight, but we aren’t sure who will walk out with the gold.

Bob: That will be the case throughout the evening and we are starting off in a big way. The Mid South Tag Team Titles are on the line fans, let’s take it to the ring!

MID SOUTH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Krusher Kruschev & Boris Zhukov vs The Fantastics ©

­-A hot opener as the Greensboro crowd is knowledge about these four guys and with the titles on the line, Ross and Caudle put this through the roof. Fulton and Rogers play off the strength of the Krusher and Boris so well. Ross and Caudle put over how Kruschev has held the Mid Atlantic titles in the past and he knows what he needs to do in order to get the titles back. He and Boris don’t quite mesh and their arguing leads to a disagreement and before you know it, we see Fulton and Rogers taking advantage with a huge double arm drag on Krusher and then a big double dropkick sending him out of the ring to the floor! Boris comes with some double axe handle smashes but we see Fulton and Rogers with some big rights and then a double body slam! Fulton goes up for the ROCKET LAUNCHER and the 1…2….3!! Ross and Caudle put this over in a big way as The Fantastics work the crowd.

Winners and still Mid South Tag Team Champions - The Fantastics

-Ross and Caudle put over the tag team title match and say it is the first of seven title matches we will see tonight. They talk about the world tag team champion Guerreros who will be in a big six-man with the Freebirds later on. Ross then puts over Wrestling II and his recent Mid South Television Title victory. Caudle talks about what he’s been doing in MACW along with Mid South. They put over Scott Casey in a big way and talk about how he can and will do anything in order to get a victory. They say that titles aren’t on the line but the mask of Wrestling II and the hair of Casey is… someone will lose something when all's said and done here!

MASK VS HAIR

Wrestling II vs Scott Casey

-A nice clash of styles here tonight. Ross and Caudle continue to put over the individual achievements of both men. They talk about Casey’s time in Southwest and Wrestling II’s career in Mid South. They talk about Starrcade being a summit of all the top stars and this being one of those moments. We get around 11-minutes of stiff action with both of these guys throwing some big punches. We see them go out of the ring to brawl a little bit and you can tell neither man is willing to give up their hair or mask. We get back in the ring as both men are wearing down and we see Casey looking to finish. He has worked over the neck and the back and he is going for the piledriver and he nails it for the 1….2….and Wrestling II gets his foot on the rope! Casey can’t believe it… wait a moment… here comes Rick McGraw. Caudle and Ross wonder what he’s doing out there! He is cheering on Casey… wait a minute… as the referee’s back is turned, Rick McGraw with a stiff shot and Wrestling II is reeling. Wait a minute! The crowd pops as Magnum TA runs down to the ring and he nails McGraw! Magnum throws him into the ring post and now Casey is yelling at him. This gives Wrestling II a chance to get up and then he nails Casey with a running high knee and Casey hits the turnbuckle! Wrestling II backs up and waits for Casey and then hits a BELLY-TO-BELLY SUPLEX! 1….2….3!! WRESTLING II HAS WON IT! The crowd pops as Magnum gets in the ring and he’s got the hair equipment. Magnum is holding down Casey and Wrestling II is cutting away! He is throwing the hair as Casey is coming too! Rick McGraw pulls Casey out of the ring and the worst part is that all of his hair wasn’t cut! Ross and Caudle put this through the roof as Wrestling II and Magnum shake hands and go up the aisle…

Winner - Mr. Wrestling II

-Ross and Caudle discuss the big matches tonight. They talk about the Mid American Championship and discuss both Reed and Idol. They discuss some of the top stars in Memphis being contenders for the NWA title and how the winner of our next match could jump into the mix as well. We cut to the ring as the Mid-American title is on the line…

NWA MID-AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP

Butch Reed © vs Austin Idol

-Butch Reed comes out to a lukewarm ovation from the crowd and Idol appears to have the fans behind him. This is a hard fought 9-minute contest with both men throwing some very vicious shots. We see Reed work the shoulder of Idol throughout the contest. Ross and Caudle really put over Butch Reed’s viciousness and say he is someone who could contend for a United States Championship and even the world title if he were to ever get a chance. Austin Idol does make a nice comeback. He is hammering with fists of fire and we see a huge back body drop which has completely turned the tide. The fans are rocking here tonight and we may just see the title change hands. Idol is looking to soften up the knee and he even locks in the figure four leg lock but Reed is close to the ropes and he breaks up the submission attempt. Reed is hobbling around now and Idol puts him in the corner. Idol runs but Reed side steps and throws a huge elbow. Reed then grabs Idol and tosses him into the ring post and he hits his shoulder HARD! Idol isn’t moving too swiftly and Reed grabs him for a PILEDRIVER! Ross and Caudle go nuts as Reed covers with a handful of tights to boot for the 1….2….3!! The crowd isn’t happy as Reed holds up the title high in the air.

Winner and still NWA Mid-American Champion - Butch Reed

-Ross and Caudle continue to put over the “champion advantage” that we’ve seen thus far tonight and wonder how that will play out with the remainder of our contests. They discuss what it takes to win a title and discuss if it is harder to win or harder to retain. They put over the NWA United States Tag Team Title tournament and our contest here this evening. Both men are very high on Barry Windham someday becoming a World Champion contender. They discuss how he and Houston are a formidable tag team and wonder just what the Grapplers and Johnny V have in store here tonight.

NWA UNITED STATES TAG TEAM

The Grapplers © w/ Johnny Valiant vs Sam Houston & Barry Windham

- Windham and Houston were in control for the first several minutes until interference from Johnny V gave the Grapplers the advantage. The Grapplers managed to keep Houston in the ring after that and switch in and out illegally to stay in control until Houston got double backdropped and landed on his feet then dove to the corner to tag Windham who came in and went to town on both Grapplers until Grappler #2 powdered out to the floor and was met by Houston and they begin to brawl at ringside....Johnny Valiant got on the apron and was screaming at referee Sonny Fargo who tried to get Valiant off the ring.....meanwhile Windham hit Grappler #1 with a flying lariat and had him covered for more than a three count.....a THIRD GRAPPLER ran into the ring and kicked his boot against the mat "loading" it...then kicked Windham in the back of the head...and rolled Grappler #1 on top for the pin...then took off back up the aisle...Johnny V then gets down causing Sonny Fargo to turn around and see the cover and count...1..2..3! The Grapplers take a moment to celebrate and the fans aren’t happy. Ross and Caudle put this over and send to to the back where Tony Schiavone is standing by...

Winners and still NWA United States tag team champions - The Grapplers

(Tony Schiavone is backstage with NWA World Champion Harley Race)

Screen-Shot-2014-03-23-at-1.23.53-AM.png

Tony: "I'm joined by the NWA World Heavyweight Champion 'Handsome' Harley Race, tonight you face your #1 contender 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair."

Race: "You know Mr. Schiavone, I heard the things that Ric Flair said on the Mid Atlantic t.v. show last week...Ric Flair had the nerve to say that my time as World Champion has passed me by? You listen to me Ric Flair....those words have stuck with me for days...and I can promise you this, there's only one man who will decide when Harley Race's time has passed...and that's me! It sure as hell won't be you Ric Flair....Now admit you are a great wrestler and you will no doubt one day wear this championship around your waist but when you do it won't be at my expense.....Ric Flair's day as champion is coming.....but it WILL NOT be today! I will go in that ring tonight and beat Ric Flair and continue to be the greatest wrestler on God's green earth." (turns and leaves)

Tony: "There you have it fans from the Heavyweight champion of the world."

-Ross and Caudle put over Race’s promo and say he is the man to beat right now in the world of wrestling. They wonder if Flair has what it takes to step into the ring with the champion one more time and walk away with the gold. They put over the action thus far tonight and build into our next huge contest, the $100,000 battle royal. They talk about all the top contenders in this match and wonder just what it will take to eliminate some of these guys and who will stand tall at the end...

STARRCADE CUP

$100,000 BATTLE ROYAL

Andre The Giant, Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Masked Superstar, Don Muraco, Jack Lanza, Wahoo McDaniel, ThunderBolt Patterson, Kamala, Mad Dog Vachon, Butcher Vachon, Pedro Morales, Matt Borne, Lanny Poffo, Blackjack Mulligan, Bad News Allen, Sargent Slaughter, Rocky Johnson, & Bob Backlund

­-Perhaps the most star studded battle royal of all times. Ross and Caudle put over the Starrcade Cup in a huge way and discuss the big $100,000 prize. Early one we see some allegiances and some big time power. One of the premiere guys right off the bat is Rocky Johnson who goes on a little tear throwing out Patterson and Borne early. We see the Sarge and Backlund throwing some huge bombs. Brody and Hansen finally get their hands on one another. Kamala is a wild man and tosses out Leapin Lanny Poffo as the ring is starting to clear up. Don Muraco seems to be a man alone out there as he is able to eliminate Morales but then falls to Bob Backlund who tosses him over the top to the floor! Next out is Bad News Allen who get a nasty headbutt from Andre! The Vachons are working together as are the Blackjacks. Masked Superstar makes a good run but Rocky Johnson tosses him out. On the other side of the ring Bruiser Brody with a double clothesline and the Vachons are out of the ring to the floor! Ross and Caudle can hardly follow along with the action. We see Stan Hansen come over and he tosses out Slaughter and Backlund who are tied up with one another. Abdullah and Kamala are now fighting with one another but then they team up on Andre! Andre is able to fight both men off and then he looks over as the Blackjack attempt to eliminate Johnson but Andre comes from behind as Johnson ducks and the Blackjacks go over the top to the floor. Brody eliminates Masked Superstar. We are down to Andre, Brody, Hansen, Abdullah, Kamala, and Rocky Johnson. It turns into a 6-man tag for all intensive purposes. Hansen and Brody, Abdullah and Andre, and Johnson and Kamala. Brody and Hansen get locked up but on the other side of the ring we see Abdullah and Kamal get Andre locked in the ropes and then they double up and eliminate Rocky Johnson! They walk over and eliminate both Brody and Hansen! We are down to three as Kamala and Abdullah are hammering on Andre as he gets up and out of the ropes. Abdullah runs but Andre nails him with a back elbow and then he tosses him out of the ring to the floor! It is Kamala and Andre. They are throwing some bombs as Kamala goes for a couple of huge chops but it is Andre who nails him with a huge headbutt! Kamala backs up and then Andre with a clothesline and Kamala goes over the top to the floor! The crowd pops as Andre gets the trophy and inside the $100,000! He holds up the trophy and money… Ross and Caudle put it through the roof!

Winner of the Starrcade Cup & $100,000 - Andre the Giant

-Ross and Caudle put this event over and talk about Andre winning the most prestigious battle royal of all times. They discuss the $100,000 and what Andre could do with that kind of money. They discuss him challenging for a title down the line and wonder just who could beat him one on one… They put over the US Championship as they introduce our next contest.

UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP

Terry Taylor © vs Adrian Street w/ Ms. Linda

-Street and Taylor shake hands to start this highly technical match...or at least until Adrian started to get frustrated and started to break the rules with a closed fist here and there and some choking.....building towards trying to pin Taylor in the corner with his feet on the ropes but referee Tommy Young saw Street's feet on the ropes and stopped the count....Street got in Young's face allowing Taylor to hook Street from behind with a backslide and get the win. Terry Taylor escapes with the belt and holds it high in the air. Ross and Caudle say that what happens during the match can affect the outcome but it is who walks away with the belt that matters most. They cut to Tony Schiavone who is standing by with the challenger for the NWA World Championship...

Winner and still NWA United States Champion - Terry Taylor

(Tony Schiavone approaches Ric Flair in his dressing room)

screen-shot-2015-11-03-at-12-27-05-pm-e1

Tony: "Ric, if we could get a moment of your time to talk about your World Championship match tonight at Starrcade."

Ric: "Tony, I'm always more than happy to talk about my matches but especially one of the magnitude that I'm having tonight against the greatest wrestler in the World today, the great Harley Race."

Tony: "Well Ric, it seems you are being a bit more respectful of the champion here tonight than you've been in recent interviews."

Ric: "Make no mistake, I've ALWAYS had nothing but the utmost respect for Harley Race....what I said last week on television was not meant to be disrespectful it was meant to do exactly what it did.....get inside the champion's head....and clearly it did as he said it's been in his head all week....and that little shadow of a doubt may just be the slight advantage I need to knock off one of the greats in our sports. No disrepect but whether Race likes it or not, whether he agrees with it or not...tonight the 'Nature Boy' is gonna walk that aisle looking as only I can look and become the World Heavyweight Champion...and I'm not gonna do it, ripping off a t-shirt and flexing my muscles....I'm going to do it by beating the man who is currently the best wrestler in our sport...and when I beat HIM, then everyone will know that Ric Flair is the greatest wrestler in the entire world and if anyone has a problem with that 'brother', then step in an NWA ring and prove me wrong."

Tony: "I don't think I would be issuing challenges just yet..."

Ric: "No one asked you what you think, just hold the microphone, geek. I'm Ric Flair and I don't need you approval or anyone else's......I'm the 'Nature Boy'...Greensboro is my town and this is my night and when I walk back through those doors with the NWA strap....Greensboro, we're gonna party ALL NIGHT LONG....WOOOOOO!!!!"

-Ross and Caudle put over the challenger and say this may be his night. They talk about the Missouri Championship and the rich history of wrestling in St. Louis. They discuss the champion Nick Bockwinkel and gush over a possible match with him and Race, title for title and wonder how Flair would do against him. They talk about Bobo Brazil being the man tonight to ruin all those plans though, we will see if he can achieve his goal of taking the gold...

MISSOURI CHAMPIONSHIP

Bobo Brazil vs Nick Bockwinkel © w/ Bobby Heenan

-A nice contest here with two of the all time pros. Heenan may end up being the star of the show as he is in prime form tonight. He is working the crowd up something awful while Bock looks to be in great shape against Brazil. This one only goes about 9-minutes but it is a good story of Bobo fighting back against Bock and almost out-wrestling the wrestler. We see Bobo get a big head of steam and he has got the momentum as he hoists up Bockwinkle and twirls him in an airplane spin and even cracks Heenan! He puts Bock down and then grabs Bobby but here comes Bock from behind with a double axe handle and Bobo and Bobby crack heads, Bock rolls him up with leverage for the 1…2….3! Bock jumps out of the ring and Bobby is shaky but he’s still working the fans. Bock holds the title in the air but it appears as though Bobo may be back on the hunt before too long…

Winner and still Missouri Champion - Nick Bockwinkel

-Ross and Caudle continue to put over Bockwinkel. They say he is a a champion’s champion, regardless of Bobby Heenan’s outside interference. They talk about the next contest and how there will be no rules in the Badstreet Brawl. They put over the world tag team titles and says that they aren’t on the line here tonight but this match could propel the Birds into contention to put them to the back of the list.

BADSTREET BRAWL

The Fabulous Freebirds vs The Guerreros

- A 'Badstreet Brawl' is basically a 'texas tornado' match...so all six men came dressed in street clothes and all six were in the ring at once and it was a wild melee from the opening bell. They whipped each other with belts, hit each other with chairs and everything that wasn't nailed down. Roberts and Chavo both were busted open and bleeding profusely. The end finally came when Gordy gave Hector the 'Asiatic Spike' to get the win for the 'Birds.

Winners - The Fabulous Freebirds

(Afterwards Hayes grabs the mic as the Guerreros are leaving)

Hayes: "Hey boys, that was just a taste...don't you think for one minute that we aren't coming for our World Tag Team titles because tonight was just to teach you a lesson....the real revenge will be taking the gold back home to Badstreet!"

-Caudle and Ross put the Birds over and wonder just when we will see that big tag team encounter for the gold. They discuss the future of the titles and say the Guerreros have some of the toughest competition in the world to deal with right now, but they are up for the challenge. They turn the tide to Mid South and put over the North American Champion, Ted Dibiase. They talk about him being a world title contender and how there was a scheduled match on December the 16th, but that match will take place at another time. They say that in order to get that match, Dibiase will have to defeat the man who has beat him once before for the title, the JYD. This is one of the most heated feuds in the country and it is set to unfold right here in Greensboro, let’s go to the ring!

MID SOUTH NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP

Junkyard Dog vs Ted Dibiase ©

-Jim Ross puts this one through the roof as both men stand across the ring from one another. Dibiase holds up the title belt and Junkyard Dog howls and the crowd pops. Here we go for a solid 11-minutes. JYD tosses Dibiase all over the ring while Dibiase slows down the pace and he works over the neck of JYD. We see him go for everything including a brainbuster and JYD is hurting. The crowd is stirring as the Dog begins to make his comeback and Dibiase can’t believe it. He nails him with rights and lefts but the dog is shaking it off. He is ready and now the Dog is dishing out some big time shots. He hammers away at Dibiase and sends him to the ropes for a huge back body drop! JYD is looking to finish and he picks up Dibiase for a THUMP! JYD takes a moment to wipe the sweat from his eyes as Dibiase rolls out of the ring. JYD follows and he knows he has to pin him inside the ring for the title to change hands. JYD goes to grab him but Dibiase grabs the belt, he swings wildly at JYD who ducks and then an atomic drop into the ring post. The belt goes flying into the ring as JYD tosses in Dibiase and he is ready to put him away. He goes to grab Dibiase who hits him with a LOW BLOW! PeeWee Anderson doesn’t’ call for the bell… he doesn’t want to end it this way… but then Dibiase grabs that North American Title and he CRACKS JYD right between the eyes and he goes down and PeeWee has no choice but to call for the bell! The fans are booing up a storm. We see some debris in the ring as Dibiase holds up the title. JYD isn’t done yet though as he gets up and looks at him. We see a sprinkle of blood from his forehead and Jim Ross says this one is far from over! Dibiase may have won the battle, but the war for Mid South’s North American Championship is just heating up!

Winner - The Junkyard Dog

-Ross and Caudle put over the Dog and say that he won the battle but the war is far from over. They talk about challengers for both men and then turn their attention to the world title. This is what we’ve been waiting for all night long. They talk about how 6 titles have been retained tonight and wonder if Flair has what it takes, on this stage to dethrone the champion and get the gold for a second time. They put over Race as a man who has been in this spot before. They talk about all the challengers, the Funks, the Briscoes, Dusty Rhodes, and how he has beat Flair before. Ross and Caudle go quiet as we see the entrances of both men.

MAIN EVENT

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Ric Flair vs Harley Race ©

-The bell rings and they meet in the middle of the ring....Race clearly has words for Flair who is shaking his head and starts to strut, Race spins him around and they lock up. The match goes back and forth for 45 minutes with neither man ever having a distinct advantage for an extended period of time, Flair attempts the figure four leglock but Race kicks him off causing Flair to go crashing head first into the ringpost splitting his head open. Race works him over with repeated right hands to the head opening Flair's cut up even more. Race hooks Flair in a fisherman's suplex and Flair barely kicks out at 2! Race gives Flair a piledriver....then climbs to the top rope to deliver a headbutt but Flair manages to move out of the way and both me are now struggling to get to their feet...Flair gets to his feet first and climbs to the top rope....but Race catches him and tosses him off the top rope out to the middle of the ring.....Race lowers his knee pad and runs across to drop a knee on Flair's bleeding forehead but Flair moves and Race drives his own exposed knee right into the mat, Flair locks in the figure four leglock.....Race is in the middle of the ring....he can't reach the ropes after some struggling, Race has no choice but to submit...

Winner and new World Heavyweight Champion: "Nature Boy" Ric Flair

-Flair holds the title high in the air as he looks out to the crowd. The fans all give him a great ovation. Ross and Caudle put this over in a big way. They talk about the future of the NWA and wonder who will be next in line. They say that that is tomorrow but the moment right now is Ric Flair’s. Thank you for joining us fans as we see some stills from throughout the night to close down the show.

6ac0fbb2d681d16d0c3dcc564bcfddde.jpg