Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/28-1/3

cpst

Part of me wonders if the "boring" chants might be backlash over the hype that Sasha and Becky have been receiving. Using the figures above, there will be a lot of people who've never seen NXT, but have heard people chanting "We want Sasha" and wondered what all the fuss is about. Given the way WWE have long portrayed women's wrestling as filler, I can imagine some of the crowd writing it off as hipster contrarianism and going in with a "Go on, impress me" attitude, and when the match wasn't blow-away amazing, you get that reaction.

I think there is a lot of validity to this post.

Elsewhere, WWE have done nothing with Sasha on TV since she has been on Raw. People in general are fickle and will turn on you at the drop of a dime. "We want Sasha" was partly a rebellious cry. Like many things, once popular or trendy, it suddenly becomes less cool. Like a small band who hits it big. Or the Capital City Goofball.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know the numbers, so if I overestimated that then fair enough. 1 out of 3 WWE fans watching NXT is still pretty high. You say Sasha had the chants because of her success in NXT, well no shit! That is my point. You are only confirming it. The girls had an advantage coming in on RAW by virtue of their accomplishments elsewhere. It isn't like they had to build their fanbase from scratch. Look at Daniel Bryan or CM Punk. They didn't have the benefit of synergistic exposure like NXT folks do. There were always people who knows Daniel Bryan or CM Punk but I think they had less of a reach for the WWE fans and more required effort to build them up with their runs in reality competition NXT/ECW. Only then did they earn more of the fans' attention overall with their characters and their talents.

Sasha debuted with the Divas Revolution before Takeover/Summerslam and they were cheering for Sasha even then. So the problem obviously isn't what you are claiming. The WWE did a terrible job booking them, that's part of it, but the girls do need to take responsibility here on adjusting to the different way of life that a travelling circus requires as opposed to living and eating and drinking and breathing at the NXT facility.

Part of me wonders if the "boring" chants might be backlash over the hype that Sasha and Becky have been receiving.

This is WAY overthinking it. The crowd chanted "this is boring" because it was fucking boring. The match was too long, was sloppy & didn't really mean anything. The crowd is not invested in those character. You gotta give the crowd a reason to care about a match before giving them the match.

I don't think as many of the NXT fans are going to Raws as what some people think. It may be in the same building, but it's clearly not the same fans. I believe there are quite a few fans out there like me who don't really watch or give a shit about the main roster that love to watch NXT every week. NXT has filled the WWE portion of my wrestling needs so fuck the main roster bullshit. Sasha and Becky had my third favorite WWE match in 2015. I'm big a big fan of their work, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see a random Raw match with no build, story, or stakes to it unless I hear it's a MOTYC(and not one of those shitty indy kickout fest so called motyc).

Part of me wonders if the "boring" chants might be backlash over the hype that Sasha and Becky have been receiving.

You gotta give the crowd a reason to care about a match before giving them the match.

This is a match on Raw in 2015 we're talking about right?

Yes. It's a problem with the entire show & has been for a long time. They also chanted "this is boring" during yet another 6-man match on RAW. When the show starts & you don't already know what to expect on the show, that's a problem. This last RAW, in example, told us that next week we're getting Roman Vs. Sheamus with Vince at the ref. People know what the main event is before they turn the show on. That's the first time we've had that in quite some time. The format really hinders the show and is part of the reason why everything is so boring. You turn it on, get a 20-minute promo telling you what the main event is and everything in between is just filler. Why are the fans going to care about that?

It's not just about the women. I really like Sasha & Becky but WWE isn't exactly putting them in a situation to have success. If the match was a lot better maybe they could have gotten the crowd more involved but before the bell even rang, a lot of them seemingly tuned out.

Hell, I'd argue half the PPVs in the calendar year don't even matter. WWE used to feel like you couldn't miss a show. That anything could happen. That if you missed a week you would be out of the loop & struggle to catch back up, or might miss some great moment. Now you can miss three months, read a paragraph about what happened & not feel like you missed anything.