PAUL BOESCH PRESENTS

Live from Houston, Texas

A Two-Day Tag Team Grand Prix

For $200,000!

The 24 teams entered include

1. The Guerreros - NWA Champions
  2. The Moondogs - NWA United States Tag Team Champions

3. Dick Slater & Bob Orton - Big Time Tag Team Champions

4. The Fantastics (Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers) - Mid South Tag Team Champions

5. The Sheepherders - USWA National Champions

6. Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard

7. Magnum TA & Wahoo McDaniel

8. King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude

9. The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy)

10. Barry & Kendall Windham

11. Sam Houston & Terry Taylor

12. Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis

13. The Zumbie Express

14. Mark & Jay Youngblood

15. The Midnight Express (Dennis Condry & Randy Rose)

16. Tiger Chung Lee & Prof. Tanaka

17. The Grapplers

18. Tony Atlas & Andre the Giant

19. Abdullah The Butcher & Killer Khan

20. Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody

21. Krusher Kruschev & Alexis Smirnoff

22. Lord Humongous & the Executioner

23. Mike Rotundo & Steve Williams

24. Ivan Putski & Don Muraco

PLUS

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

RicFlair4.jpg

RIC FLAIR

DEFENDS AGAINST

Ricky_Steamboat.jpg

RICKY 'THE DRAGON' STEAMBOAT

The action starts at a special 5:30pm bell time on Friday April 6th at the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, Texas.

There will be 8 opening round matches with the winners advancing to the second round to face the top 8 seeded teams.

The top 8 seeds will be released in the next 48 hours along with the opening round matches.

All 8 opening round matches will be randomly drawn as they are put into the bracket.

The full bracket reveal will then be revealed to show all the pairings and the pathways towards the $200,000!

Stay tuned to this thread for up to date announcements and special local promos from the wrestlers involved!

02.jpg

Paul Boesch: I want to thank everyone for joining me here today for this big announcement. I want to thank all those promotions that are participating in this huge 2-day grand prix tag team tournament event for $200,000! We are hoping to make this a weekend long event with a very special night starting on Friday April the 6th The doors will open at 3:30 with the first match starting at 5:30pm. In that time before the event, we will have a special photograph and autograph session with Houston favorites, the Junkyard Dog and Ricky the Dragon Steamboat! They will be here to sign autographs and take pictures with the fans as we head into the tournament. Now I know everyone has been waiting and I am going to release the seeding for the tournament. This was part of a discussion with the promoters involved and the various accolades of the wrestlers as a team. Without further ado, let me give you the top 8 seeds.

1st Seed – NWA World Tag Team Champions – Chavo & Mando Guerrero

2nd Seed – Big Time Tag Team Champions – Bob Orton & Dick Slater

3rd Seed – USWA National Tag Team Champions – The Sheephearders

4th Seed – NWA United States Tag Team Champions – The Moondogs

5th Seed – Mid South Tag Team Champions – The Fantastics

6th Seed – The Midnight Express

7th Seed – The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy)

8th Seed – Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch

Paul Boesch: Again, these teams were seeded on various different categories and I believe that some of the pairings from the random draw we are about to have will prove to create some entertaining matches for the first two rounds. As a reminder, first round matches will have a 15-minute time limit, second round will have a 20-minute, third round will have a 30-minute, semi-finals will have a 60-minute, and in the finals, there must be a winner with no time limit. We will enforce count outs and disqualifications. Teams can advance via pinfall, submission, count out, or disqualification. If there is a double count out, double disqualification, or a time limit draw, neither team moves forward and the subsequent team in front of them will receive a bye. We have 16-matches scheduled for the first night which is why we are opening the start time at 5:30 and we will go till all matches are complete.

{We have a gentleman then bring out a bingo style tumbler}

Paul Boesch: Inside this tumbler, we have the names of all 16 teams who did not get seeded. I am going to randomly draw them out for their first round pairings. We will fill in the bracket behind me as we go forward and show you the final pairings upon completion. We will start from top to bottom. The matches will go as follows…

Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy vs Barry & Kendall Windham

Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs The Zumbie Express

Ivan Putski & Don Muraco vs Tiger Chung Lee & Pro. Tanaka

Sam Houston & Terry Taylor vs Lord Humungous & The Executioner

Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas vs The Grapplers

Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen vs Mark & Jay Youngblood

Krusher Kruschev & Alexis Smirnoff vs Steve Williams & Mike Rotundo

Magnum TA & Wahoo McDaniel vs Killer Khan & Abdullah the Butcher

Paul Boesch: Some really fun pairings there, I am interested to see who will be moving on. I do want to reiterate that these pairings can change due to injury and other circumstances. I know Bill Watts from Mid South said that if the Fantastics lose the Mid South Tag Titles, they would lose their seed to whomever beat them, and if that team wasn’t in the tournament, they would be removed. We will see just who has what it takes to survive through this huge two-day tournament. Let’s take a look at the bracket and how these teams fall with the seedings.

Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy vs Barry & Kendall Windham

Winner will face (1) Mando & Chavo Guerrero

Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs The Zumbie Express

Winner will face (8) Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch

Winner will face (4) Moondogs

Winner will face (5) The Fantastics

Winner will face (2) Bob Orton & Dick Slater

Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen vs Mark & Jay Youngblood

Winner will face (7) The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Gordy)

Krusher Kruschev & Alexis Smirnoff vs Steve Williams & Mike Rotundo

Winner will face (3) Sheephearders

Magnum TA & Wahoo McDaniel vs Killer Khan & Abdullah the Butcher

Winner will face (6) Midnight Express

Paul Boesch: There is the bracket folks. Continue to tune in as we will have special messages from the participants, up to date news, and the official contract signing of Ric Flair & Ricky Steamboat right here.

Paul Boesch presents… the $200,000 Tag Team Grand Prix!

Live on April the 6th and the 7th from the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, Texas. The top 24 teams in the world will be in Houston for one of the biggest prizes in the history of professional wrestling.

th_TerryTaylor3.jpgSamHouston_zps153e939f.jpg

Sam Houston: Lemme tell you something Terry… this is the biggest chance we’ve ever had man. You are talking about $200,000 on the line and anything could happen!

Terry Taylor: That’s right Sam… I mean you’re talking about fighting for two days… and we know that we’re going to have to go through five matches.

Sam Houston: Hey man, underdogs have done it before…

Terry Taylor: And if you ask me… this is going to be a story of us underdogs doing it one more time!

GinoHernandez4_zps56fa60bd.jpgTully%20Blanchard_zpsogj2bnds.jpg

Gino Hernandez: The blatant disrespect given to myself and my partner Tully Blanchard is beyond reprehensible. Paul Boesch, you and you little conglomerate of individuals who feel as though they make decisions have made the worst decision of a lifetime… you’ve made the two of us angry.

Tully Blanchard: Paul Boesch… the seeding of this tournament stinks of controversy and blatant thievery. We were robbed of that first round bye… but Gino, you and I both know there’s a chance for us to get that spot…

Gino Hernandez: That’s right Tully… Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers… we’ve got you on our mind and we want those tag titles and that seed… you are looking at two men who are going to be $200,000 richer…

Tully Blanchard: And there’s nothing you can do about it!

RickRude2.jpgKing%20Kong%20Bundy%2080s_zpsvn9cy1lk.jp

Rick Rude: Promises, promises. You look at the top 24 tag teams in all of professional wrestling and you look at the top billed team… the number one draw… King Kong Bundy and Rick Rude. Now we didn’t get the seed but we know Paul Boesch is too afraid do something like that. He puts us in there against the Windhams. Well Barry… you better call your daddy and your momma and tell them goodbye because you won’t be coming back from Houston!

King Kong Bundy: HAHA! The Windhams… a rich family with history throughout Texas. Well I know your daddy and I’ve beat him just like I am goin to beat the two of you. Texas won’t be prepared for the AVALANCHE I AM BRINGING!

DickSlater.jpgBobOrtonJr.jpg

Dick Slater: Right here brother… tag team titles. This is what it is all about on most counts… but not on April the 6th and 7th.

Bob Orton: That’s right Dick. You are talking $200,000. We could stretch that a long way don’t you think?

Dick Slater: Haha… I think we could make some serious friends and put away some serious enemies with that kind of money.

Bob Orton: Without a doubt… and whoever is in our way… you better know we are going to be bringing the fight and we are bringing it double tough!

MichaelHayes.jpgTerryGordy22_zps96ba42f7.jpg

Michael Hayes: I can already hear Freebird blaring through the arena. The Sam Houston Coliseum is going to be rocking and rolling with the Freebirds daddy and you are looking at two bad dudes from Badstreet USA!

Terry Gordy: Michael… we know what tag team wrassling is all about and come the tournament, you and I are going to be PRIMED AND READY for WAR! WAR! WAR!

Michael Hayes: That’s right Terry… there’s no stop signs and no speed limits to that $200,000 prize and you are looking at two bad dudes with bad attitudes who want it all for themselves!

ALSO SIGNED FOR THE CARD. NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, RIC FLAIR DEFENDS HIS CHAMPIONSHIP AGAINST RICKY THE DRAGON STEAMBOAT!

Ricky_Steamboat.jpg

Ricky Steamboat: I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have eagles in my stomach thinking about this chance to face Ric Flair in the great wrestling town of Houston. That NWA World Title is the most prestigious title in this sport. Ric Flair… you wrestling 7 nights a week, 365 days a year. You are a fighting champion. Now I don’t respect who you are as a person… but as an athlete you are one of the best in the world… but I am going to show you that I am better. I have never had the chance to win the title in such an event and I am going do it… it is my destiny!

RicFlair4.jpg

Ric Flair: You wanna talk about character Ricky Steamboat? Huh? You are looking at a $600 suit… $15,000 Rolex watch… $300 alligator shoes… and right here… $25,000 of pure gold… right here around my waist. You wanna talk about my character… ha… you are looking at the highest paid athlete in this sport. You are looking at the biggest box office attraction in the sport pal! I go 7 nights a week! I go 365 days a year! Ricky Steamboat… you call yourself the dragon, but I am going to have you breathing fire pal. I am the world champion for a reason and you’re going to find out why!

DON’T FORGET TO TUNE IN FANS RIGHT HERE ON FOX HOUSTON FOR COVERAGE OF THIS HUGE EVENT!

• 3 weeks later...

-In late breaking news, the Windhams have been removed from the tournament and replaced with Jose Lothario and Mil Mascaras. They will face Rick Rude and King Kong Bundy in the first round of the tournament.

-It was officially announced that Ivan Koloff would team with Krusher Kruschev to take on Mike Rotundo and Steve Williams in the first round.

-Another change occurred when Stan Hansen announced that Terry Gordy would be his partner in the tournament! Buddy Roberts has stepped in to team with Michael Hayes. Gordy and Hansen will take on the Youngbloods.

-After the chaotic night in Houston this past week, it was announced that Gino Hernandez and Tully Blanchard (the newly crowned Mid South Tag Team Champions) would be taking the place of the 5th seeded Fantastics in the tournament. The Fantastics would then be moving to the preliminary round and be matched up with the Zumbie Express!

Here are the final pairings for the first two rounds on Friday night this week!

Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy vs Jose Lothario & Mil Mascaras

Winner will face (1) Mando & Chavo Guerrero

The Fantastics vs The Zumbie Express

Winner will face (8) Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch

Winner will face (4) Moondogs

Winner will face (5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez

Winner will face (2) Bob Orton & Dick Slater

Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen vs Mark & Jay Youngblood

Winner will face (7) The Fabulous Freebirds (Hayes & Roberts)

Krusher Kruschev & Ivan Koloff vs Steve Williams & Mike Rotundo

Winner will face (3) Sheephearders

Magnum TA & Barry Windham vs Killer Khan & Abdullah the Butcher

Winner will face (6) Midnight Express

4/6/1984 - Mid South Wrestling Live – Houston, Texas – Sam Houston Coliseum

Opening Round – 1 Fall – 15-minute time limit

Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart vs Jose Lothario & Mil Mascaras
-In a fun opening contest with all four men getting involved, it is King Kong Bundy who is the X factor in this contest. Rude looks good to soften things up but it is Bundy who is just on a different level. Mascaras looks like he’s about to finish Rude but on the other side of the ring, Bundy nails the AVALANCHE and the 1…2…3 on Lothario! Rude and Bundy to take on the Guerreros in the next round!

The Fantastics vs The Zumbie Express
-A huge mismatch here from the outset. Fulton and Rogers have got something going in the right direction though as they play cat and mouse with the Express. It is a mis-communication that leads to a big double dropkick on both men sending them out of the ring. We then see tandem baseball slides putting both men down outside the ring for the 10-count! Fulton and Rogers advance to take on Murdoch and Adonis!

Ivan Putski & Don Muraco vs Tiger Chung Lee & Prof. Tanaka
-A very WWF style contest with the formula working here. The problem is that with only 15-minutes, it isn’t overly entertaining. Tiger and Tanaka are a decent team but it is Putski and Muraco who put it together and we see a big Tombstone on Lee from Muraco for the 1…2…3! They will move on to face the Moondogs in the 2nd round.

-This one is just a mess from the outset. I don’t even think the bell rings as Humungous and Executioner just rip into Taylor and Houston. Sam Houston gets busted open early on and he is in a bad way. Then the match gets even crazier with Humungous and the Executioner turning on one another. The referee calls for the bell for a count out as the Executioner and Humungous fight to the back. Taylor and Houston are heading to the second round to face Gino and Tully but Houston may have a problem!

-The eruption for Andre the Giant is monstrous! He is without a doubt the biggest name in the tournament and he and Atlas make good work out of the grapplers. This one is a good match but Andre and Atlas are just too much. We see a pair of big bodyslams from Atlas and then splashes from Andre for the 1…2…3! They will go on to face Orton and Slater in the 2nd round!

Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen vs Mark & Jay Youngblood
-Match of the first round here. These guys go 13-minutes and go blow for blow. The Youngbloods bring their A game here but Hansen and Gordy are working on a different level! Gordy nails a nasty SPIKE on Jay while Hansen comes from across the ring with a LARIAT on Mark for the 1…2…3! They move on to face the Freebirds in what may be the most anticipated match of the 2nd round!

Krusher Kruschev & Ivan Koloff vs Steve Williams & Mike Rotundo
-This one breaks loose from the outset. They calm down to get about five minutes of wrestling but that’s all it is. Hacksaw Duggan is out there with the American Flag and his arm in a sling. He is the catalyst for what turns into a double disqualification for both of these teams as Ivan Koloff almost starts a riot here in Houston. They fight into the crowd as officials and agents are here to try and break this thing up. Pure CHAOS as neither team moves on and the Sheephearders get a BYE!

Magnum TA & Barry Windham vs Killer Khan & Abdullah the Butcher
-Another wild one to finish off the first round. The super team of Windham and Magnum have got the women in Houston going WILD! This one goes about 10-minutes and we see Abdullah and Khan attempt to break every rule in the book. Windham and Magnum step up their game and when all hell breaks loose, Windham takes Abby outside the ring while Khan gets nailed with a huge BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEX for the 1…2…3!! Windham and Magnum move on to face the Midnights in round 2!!!

QUICK RESULTS
Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart
defeated Jose Lothario & Mil Mascaras
The Fantastics defeated The Zumbie Express
Ivan Putski & Don Muraco defeated Tiger Chung Lee & Prof. Tanaka
Sam Houston & Terry Taylor defeated Lord Humungous & The Executioner
Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas defeated The Grapplers
Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen defeated Mark & Jay Youngblood
Krusher Kruschev & Ivan Koloff & Steve Williams & Mike Rotundo went to a DRAW
Magnum TA & Barry Windham
defeated Killer Khan & Abdullah the Butcher

-We get a little 15-minute break in between rounds. We see the Junkyard Dog come out and work the crowd and then a big showdown with Steamboat and Flair for their title match tomorrow night! We hear all the pairings for the 2nd round which starts now!

Second Round – 1 Fall – 20-minute time limit

(1) The Guerreros vs Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart

-A really hot way to get things going as the Guerreros look to be primed for a big run here in the tournament. They are the top tag team in wrestling for a reason and they show it off. Rude and Bundy appear to have some mis-communication with Jimmy Hart leading to some issues inside the ring. Hart attempts to get involved but it leads to Rude nailing Bundy and Chavo with a roll up on Rude for the 1…2…3! The Guerreros are moving on!

(8) Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch vs The Fantastics

-We continue the momentum with a great 13-minute contest. These Houston fans have seen these two teams do battle before but the Fantastic are bringing something special here tonight. Adonis and Murdoch look primed but it is a miscue on who the legal man is that leads to Bobby Fulton hitting a big dropkick on Murdoch and Rogers with a backslide on Adonis for the 1…2…3!! The Fantastics move on to face the Guerreros in the Quarter Finals!

(4) The Moondogs vs Ivan Putski & Don Muraco

-The Former US tag champions look to come out here to hurt Muraco and Putski more than win the contest. Once again, this is more of a dud that anything. Muraco and Putski are able to put it together as the Moondogs are all over the place and bring in the dog bones and hammer away at both men. Muraco and Putski get the DQ victory but then send the Dogs off with a nice comeback. They are moving on and the Moondogs are going home!

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs Sam Houston & Terry Taylor

-Tully and Gino have got so much heat right now. They walk out with their singles titles around their waists and the tag titles on their shoulders. Sam Houston has got a bandage on his forehead and it is nothing but a huge target for Hernandez and Blanchard. We see a lot of Terry Taylor but it just isn’t enough. We see Gino and Tully work him over and put him down but then Gino and Tully turn the tide to Houston and nail a SPIKE PILEDRIVER on him for the 1…2…3! They are moving on to face Putski and Muraco in the Quarter Finals!

(2) Bob Orton Jr & Dick Slater vs Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas

-This one has got a nice amount of heat added on as well. We see Orton and Slater do everything they can to not face Andre as they double up on Atlas for 95% of the match, but it is the 5% that makes the difference. Andre comes in and absolutely cleans house! Slater and Orton can’t get right and before long they are stacked in the corner and smashed! It is a huge body slam on Orton and then a splash that leads to the 1…2…3! Andre and Atlas look to be unbeatable!

(7) The Freebirds (Hayes & Roberts) vs Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy

-Perhaps the most anticipated match of the 2nd round. Before things get going, Gordy has a word for Hayes and Roberts, but when the bell rings it is nothing more than talking. These guys throw for 11-minutes and for all the skills that Hayes and Roberts bring, it is Gordy and Hansen who have got everything going their way. They take complete control of the match from the onset and we see Gordy and Hayes fighting. Gordy with a nasty right hand that turns Hayes around leading to Hansen coming with a LARIAT that takes his head off for the 1….2….3! Hansen pulls his partner away when he tries to check on Hayes… could this spell trouble for the Freebirds? Hansen and Gordy are set to face Atlas and Andre in the Quarters!

(3) The Sheepherders receive a BYE

(6) The Midnight Express vs Magnum TA & Barry Windham

-The final match of day one is a fun 18-minute contest with some great tag team wrestling. Rose and Condrey slow down the contest the best that they can but Windham and Magnum have got some extra gears that the Express weren’t ready for! Windham and Magnum with a pair of dropkicks on Condrey and then Magnum with a BELLY TO BELLY on Rose for the 1…2….3! Magnum and Windham are moving on to face the Sheephearders… oh my!

QUICK RESULTS

(1) The Guerreros defeated Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart

The Fantastics defeated (8) Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch

Ivan Putski & Don Muraco defeated (4) The Moondogs

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez defeated Sam Houston & Terry Taylor

Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas defeated (2) Bob Orton Jr & Dick Slater

Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy defeated (7) The Freebirds (Hayes & Roberts)

(3) The Sheepherders receive a BYE

Magnum TA & Barry Windham defeated (6) The Midnight Express

-Paul Boesch comes out and cuts a great promo on the night’s action. Ric Flair comes out one more time and puts over the world title match. He tells everyone that he is going to get his title back from Ricky Steamboat tomorrow night. Steamboat comes out to get him going right now! These two brawl and Flair gets his suit ripped off before we see Steamboat holding the title high. They will go toe to toe tomorrow night! Who will walk out with $200,000 and who will walk out with the NWA WORLD TITLE?!? We will find out tomorrow night!

4/7/1984 - Mid South Wrestling Live – Houston, Texas – Sam Houston Coliseum

Quarterfinals – 1 Fall – 25- minute time limit

(1) The Guerreros vs The Fantastics

-A big time contest to kick things off as the number one seed goes toe to toe with the Fantastics. They go 23-minutes in one of the hardest hitting matches of the tournament. These guys blow it up in the ring and in the final moments, we see the rise of the Fantastics right here in Houston. Chavo and Mando double up on Fulton and really break him down before we see the hottest tag of them all to Tommy Rogers who comes in like a rocket. He is firing with everything he’s got. We see Hector Guerrero run out to try and break up the match but we see Bobby Fulton with a dropkick to his chest that sends him flying into the guardrail! Chavo runs and tackles Fulton out of the ring. Inside the ring, Chavo runs for a clothesline on Rogers who ducks and then nails a superkick! Chavo throws another clothesline but Rogers ducks and catches him with a roll up for the 1…2….3!! OMG! THE FANTASTICS HAVE WON IT! THEY ARE MOVING ON! The Guerreros can’t believe it!

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs Don Muraco & Ivan Putski

-This one is not nearly as exciting as the previous but definitely has some heat. Guerrero and Blanchard are getting pelted with debris here tonight and they are eating it up with all the titles. This one only goes about 8-minutes as Muraco and Putski are simply outmatch from the word go. We see a nasty spike piledriver on Muraco for the 1…2…3! Gino and Tully celebrate and they are moving to the semis to take on the Fantastics and that one is going to be hot!

Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas vs Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen

-One of the most premiere matches of the tournament to this point. This one could have been the finals and left everyone happy. Gordy and Hansen have really got things going in their direction this weekend. They are fluid and smooth and even work oout a way to counteract Andre. Atlas does look good out there but he is getting outworked by Gordy and Hansen. This one goes about 12-minutes and we see the big finish of Hansen and Andre going outside the ring while Atlas watches and turns around to see Gordy with a huge SPIKE right to the throat and then a powerbomb for the 1…2….3!!Gordy and Hansen are going to the semis! This makeshift team is looking like money here tonight as they double up on Andre before it is all said and done!

(3) The Sheepherders vs Magnum TA & Barry Windham

-The first match for the Sheepherders and they come out wild and crazy. This one breaks down from the beginning and we see a WILD brawl all over the ringside area. The referee almost calls for the bell but lets them go. We see a wild spot when Luke runs at Magnum who belly to belly suplexes him onto the time-keepers table and busts it. Windham has his head busted open by Butch who is biting it as the blood is flowing. We see Magnum break it up as the action is back inside the ring. He is hammering away at Butch but here comes Luke with a fraction of that wooden table. He is trying to stab Magnum but here comes Windham with a huge standing dropkick sending him out of the ring. Butch runs at Magnum who duck and Windham with a nasty LARIAT for the 1…2…3! Windham and Magnum are moving to the semis! What a wild contest! The fans are psyched right now and chanting for them.

QUICK RESULTS

The Fantastics defeated (1) The Guerreros

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez defeated Don Muraco & Ivan Putski

Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen defeated Andre the Giant & Tony Atlas

Magnum TA & Barry Windham defeated (3) The Sheepherders

Semifinals – 1 Fall – 30 – minute time limit

The Fantastics vs (5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez

-This is one that has got a lot of history with it. These guys come out in front of these Houston fans; live they have done before and leave everything in the ring. Gino and Tully do have the advantage as they are fresher but The Fantastics have got a special kind of energy around them. They bring the fight and this one goes 25-minutes and may go down as the match of the tournament. They each get in offense and don’t follow the formula but simply go from the ring of the bell. As the match begins to wind down, we see Hernandez and Blanchard look to finish as Tully goes for a piledriver on Rogers but here comes Fulton with a huge superkick! He gets a close two count but here comes Gino to break it up. We get a huge brawl before seeing Tommy Rogers go for broke. Fulton and Tully go outside the ring as Rogers goes up top and leaps with a high cross body and he nails Gino but he has too much momentum as Gino rolls through and covers him for the 1…2…3!!! GINO AND TULLY ARE GOING TO THE FINALS! The crowd gives them a standing ovation here as Gino and Tully celebrate. Who will they face?

Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen vs Magnum TA & Barry Windham

-Talk about two different styles but damn they mesh well. They go toe to toe for 15-minutes and it is as entertaining but completely different than the match before it. this one is more of a hard hitting affair as Magnum and Windham are tying to find a way to match their size and strength but it just isn’t happening. The big break comes when Barry Windham ducks a clothesline from Gordy and then nails a huge dropkick right in his face and busts his nose! Gordy’s nose is bleeding all over the place and we see Windham and Magnum take control! Hansen is able to get involved as this one breaks down. We see a big double dropkick from Magnum and Windham sending Hansen out of the ring. Gordy then nails Magnum but here comes Windham with a BULLDOG and Gordy’s nose cracks the mat once again. He stands back up, blood flowing and he turns around and Magnum grabs him for a BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEX! 1….2….3! MAGNUM AND BARRY HAVE WON IT! They are going to the Finals!

QUICK RESULTS

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez defeated The Fantastics

Magnum TA & Barry Windham defeated Terry Gordy & Stan Hansen

-We get some big time entrances for our World Heavyweight Championship match here tonight. The crowd is eating it up as Steamboat is here with the title and Flair is the challenger!

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Ricky Steamboat © vs Ric Flair

-They pick up right where they left off over a week ago with a 35-minute war. It is one that sees some of the best technical wrestling in the sport. We see Flair work the leg and Steamboat go move – counter move to everything Flair is throwing at him. A majority of the match is Flair going after the knee and Steamboat trying to fight it off with everything he’s got. We see Steamboat get in some big time offense and work the back of Flair, which everyone knows is his weak spot. We even see him lock in that submission hoisting Flair up and Flair is doing everything he cannot to tap. He breaks out of it when he snaps his head back and busts Steamboat’s nose! Steamboat is hurting here as Flair is looking to finish but Steamboat has got something left in him. We see some wild shots and then Steamboat goes up top for a big chop off the top rope! He then goes up again and a HIGH CROSS BODY but Flair rolls through for a close two count. They get back up and Flair throws a huge clothesline but Steamboat ducks and then rolls him up for a 2 count but Flair rolls through for a close two count. They get up and Steamboat charges but Flair kicks his knee out! Steamboat goes down as Flair looks to lock in the figure four but Steamboat rolls up but Flair rolls through for the 1….2…3!! FLAIR HAS REGAINED THE TITLE! The crowd is going nuts! Flair grabs the belt and holds it high in the air! The crowd can’t believe it as Steamboat is grasping his knee. Flair holds up the title as history was made right here in Houston!

-We get ready for the big finals. We see huge entrances from Tully and Gino. Then we see Tully and Gino cut a promo putting over how they won’t choke like Houston did the other night in the NCAA tournament! The crowd is hot for that one as we see Windham and Magnum come out to a great ovation. It is all on the line for $200,000! HERE WE GO!

FINALS – 1 Fall – No Time Limit – Must be a WINNER

(5) Tully Blanchard & Gino Hernandez vs Magnum TA & Barry Windham

-It all comes down to this. No time limit and there must be a winner. These guys leave everything out there tonight, as there is no tomorrow. They go roughly 25-minutes and it is a mix of everything. We see brawling outside the ring as these guys all go wild. They pop back inside the ring and wrestle and we see all four men showcase their talents. Tully and Gino are able to work their double teaming to take control of the contest but it is the momentum of Barry and Magnum that turns the match to their favor. We see a big Bulldog from Windham for a very close two count on Tully. Gino and Tully bust out a nasty low blow on Windham before doubling up and sending him into the ring steps. He looks to be down and out as they look to finish with the SPIKE PILEDRIVER but here comes Magnum to break it up! We get a wild brawl as Tully and Gino go once again to finish but Windham with a huge backdrop on Tully. He is crawling to his corner and he makes the big tag to Magnum who comes in to a huge ovation! He comes with some huge rights and lefts but Gino and Tully look to double up on him! Windham is slow to get up but as Gino grabs Magnum for a piledriver and bends down, Tully goes up but here comes Windham who runs and leapfrogs Gino and nails Tully off the ropes out to the floor! Magnum runs through Gino’s legs and then waits as Gino turns around and BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEX FOR THE 1….2…3!!! MAGNUM AND WINDHAM HAVE WON IT! THEY HAVE WON THE $200,000!

-Gino and Tully are irate! They hold their titles and walk out of the arena to a chorus of boos and debris. Inside the ring, we see Paul Boesch give the men the huge $200,000. The fans are going nuts. We see Andre, Atlas, Putski, Muraco, and the Fantastics come out as they are pouring Champaign on Windham and Magnum who hoist up the check. What a way to finish off this historic event!

Very Very fun show! Loved the match descriptions and the results were not predictable which kept my interest.

From a fans perspective I am upset that Flair regained the belt. I really would have liked to follow Steamboat around the NWA as champion but again, the match was well done.

Great weekend of events. Loved the tag tournament. The brackets were fun, and some of the finishes and match ups continue or setup future rivalries, which makes for the best of what a tournament should be designed for. Great work, as always. Hopefully something like this event can be a regular thing for the project.