Pro Wrestling Only

One of the saddest things I've ever seen

sek69

So I'm going through the extras on the Bret DVD since I admit I'm not a real huge fan so I wasn't too interested in the main interview portion. I came across on disc 1 an extra called "Bret remembers his colleagues that passed away" or something to that effect. It was Bret talking about all the people he's worked with that have died, and it was just mind blowing. The list of names itself was almost mind numbing: Owen, Davey, Pillman, Bossman, Perfect, Kerry, Rude (Bret even broke down when talking about him), Hawk, and especially Elizabeth, who Bret even compared to his mother by saying "both were too good for wrestling". We all know the stories, but to see it put to video like that really hammered the point that a lot of people we watched growing up aren't around anymore.

Bret had the look on his face as if he was the only survivor of a plane crash and was as much confused as to why he's still alive as he was why everyone else died.

Hearing Bret talk about thinking he'd sit on his front porch with Owen and Curt Henning, talking about their matches they had just ripped your heart from your chest since as he put it "I always thought we'd have that, and now I don't."

I remember being depressed by this when I watched it. Another depressing sight is when Percy Pringle goes into a long rant about the deaths of the Von Erichs and other World Class alumni and how many friends he lost. He then asks if it was worth it. Can you imagine if you lost that many friends in that short of a time?

Guest Dangerous A

While I think Bret still carries some of the ego needed to be a top guy in WWF/E, I think losing so many friends and family in a short time frame is one of the reasons Bret stops himself from taking an induction into the WWE Hall of Shame...er...Fame and doing any kind of angles with Vince or HBK. You'd figure time would've healed the Montreal wound enough to where Bret could get past it and work something out, but the fact that all those names mentioned by Sek were alive when he left in Nov 97 are now gone just has to make Bret not want to have much to do with pro wrestling in general.

Even sadder, I'm getting the WM box set from NetFlix, and I'm up to WM 7. Seeing Savage and Liz reunite is just heart wrenching to watch now.

Definitely, for more than one reason. There's the obvious reason related to Liz's tragic passing, but also any of us who followed any WWF at all in the late 80s-early 90s were at least somewhat into that storyline. I know I was, and admit to being a mark for it. I think it being the first retirement match the WWF had done on PPV before that stip got *really* overused and abused helps matters, because it made that match, and the events that followed, far more special.