Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-11-30-Houston Wrestling] Dusty Rhodes vs Ken Patera

shoe

This was a match that had both guys working really hard. Patera is a guy who a lot of people have missed the boat on or have forgotten what a great performer he was. From 78-82 he was one of the best heels in wrestling. Dusty is one of the all time great babyfaces. So put peanut butter and jelly together and the results will be good. The pace in the 1st fall is a lot quicker than I was anticipating. I loved all of Patera's mannerisms through out the match. Right off the back Patera is softening up the neck for his finisher. Dusty counters with some real fun arm work and both guys are really game here. The 1st fall did a good job of laying the ground work for the match.

The 2nd fall had some real interesting stuff to it. For starters Patera works over Dusty's leg to slow him down. Dusty sold this really well. Then Patera goes back to the neck. He was constantly trying to hook on the Full Nelson. Eventually he goes for the bear hug, and the guys do some real interesting stuff with the bear hug.

The 3rd fall and you're wondering what type of screwy finish might be up the booking sleeves. Overall though these guys had a great match 3 1/2*

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1979-11-30-Houston Wrestling] Dusty Rhodes vs Ken Patera
  • 5 years later...

Dusty Rhodes vs Ken Patera - Houston 11/30/79

All caught up on AEW, fiance wants to watch RAW when I get home and I am in Ireland on a break from work so lets watch some random ass wrestling. Ken Patera is a guy who intrigues me because of everything I have read on this site and Big Dust is Big Dust you gotta love him. 

First Fall: Ken Patera is fucking huge! If he was a better looking dude, he would have been the King of the 80s. Rock Hard & Massive! JJ Dillon is managing him and looks totally different. Dusty is looking pretty good leaning into that Stardust name. Have not seen much Dusty pre-85. Thought the first fall was solid, but pretty much in first gear. Patera worked the headlock to start, got a couple good shots in the ropes as a heel should. He released the hold to set something up but Dusty popped up and grabbed an armbar. I love that. Patera gave up the advantage and paid for it. Dusty was not hurt enough to be selling so he took the space and turned it into offense. Patera pops him pretty good on the break in the ropes. Again great heel move. Dusty fires up and Flip Flop Fly Bionic Elbow bit on that as the finish since it 2/3 Falls. Patera did not do anything particularly exciting working a reverse chinlock. Dusty used the elbow. Patera missed an elbow. Big Dust hit an elbow to win the fall. Nothing to write home about, but solid wrestling nonetheless. 

Second Fall: Now this is more like it! Some great slam bang wrestling action here! Dusty unleashes fury to start with some great punches and sends Patera out to the floor. He is building off the momentum of his first fall and looks like he is going run away with it. Patera goes to the eyes but nothing is stopping big Dust. He misses an elbow. Patera bodyslam. Dusty press slams Patera. Dusty will no be denied. Patera slams the leg across the apron and works a toehold. Pretty compelling. Dusty trying to use his free leg to break the hold and finally gets Patera in position to hit the Bionic Elbow. Bullseye! Dusty tries to charge but hobbles and his Bionic Elbow hits the turnbuckles. Patera pounces with two Full Nelsons both end in rope breaks. Love the desperation shown by Dusty there. Patera works the bearhug. This is some of the best Bearhug work I have ever seen. First off it shows how powerful Patera is because he is lifting Big Dust up multiple times. I bit on the first nearfall from Dusty being unconscious but he breaks it up with Elbows and the Ear Clap. The final Bearhug gets the duke for Patera. Great second fall! 

Third Fall: Dusty & Patera wail on each other. You think Patera will have the upper hand but Dusty makes his comeback overwhelming Patera with righteous fury. Action spills to the outside. I smell a double countout, I am wrong! Patera makes it back into ring and Dusty is being held by JJ so he cant return to the ring. It is not a Patera victory, but a Dusty victory as the ref saw it and DQ's Patera awarding the match to Dusty. 

This match bucked the 2/3 falls formula usually the second fall is short & sweet and the third is longer. The second fall felt like the climax. The third fall brought us to quick resolution. Fun stuff. ***1/2