Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-06-04-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Great Hussein Arab

Superstar Sleeze

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Great Hussein Arab - WWF MSG 6/4/79

I have finally seen it all. A Bob Backlund spotfest! Who knew he invented the spotfest! On the surface, Sheiky Baby is an evil foreign twin of Backlund, tons of raw power and an impressive amateur background. That's what we get at the beginning. The classic tit for tat Backlund babyface shine where Backlund proves anything you can do he can do better and frustrates Sheik at every turn. As a mark for incorporating amateur wrestling into pro wrestling I loved this shine. Backlund really shows his power. Sheiky actually is able to grab an arm leading to a nice Backlund bridge. Sheik is able to go from hold to hold with surprising ease and definitely the lack of struggle is what this match was missing at times. One of the best highspots of the match is, Sheik drops down out of a full nelson and Bob wheelbarrows him back into a full nelson. Backlund is such an underrated spot wrestler. Sheik starts to really go after the arm. I'm liking these matches with Bob having to overcome his opponent. Backlund grabs a headscissors to buy him some time to recover and dish out some punishment. Smart move. He piledrives Sheik into the mat. Next badass spot is Backlund does a DOUBLE bridge out before a backslide. Backlund rams his bad shoulder into the turnbuckles and ends up on his ass. Sheik grabs a hammerlock and Backlund turns it into an O'Connor Roll and now Backlund just starts going to work on the arm with legdrops and rowing spot. The rowing spot goes on for a while. I just don't feel like the transitions and the struggle are there, but Backlund is selling really well. Face rake with the boot gets Sheik out of it, Backlund takes too long on the reverse crossbody and eats a boot. They do multiple reversals of the ab stretch. These are all really good spots, but there is no connection.

Big time spotfest for the finish run: Backlund THROWS Sheik on a butterfly suplex, Sheik kicks out and just gets up and gutwrench suplex him. No selling. It was straight outta the 2010s. Sheiks grabs a chair and NAILS Backlund twice in the back of the head hard. I mean hard! Backlund uses the ropes to break the pin. Backlund hits a gutwrench after this and gets a one count. Backlund splash eats knees. Sheik gets another chair and Backlund blocks and he clobbers him right in the head to a BIG POP! Sheik NO SELLS it! He loads the boot. Backlund blocks the boot and he wants the boot! Sheik hits a vertical suplex.Bodyslam by Sheik. Sheik goes up top!??!?! FLYING SHEIKYBABY! Bellyflop! ATOMIC DROP~! 1-2-3! HUGE POP!

For 1979, this is downright revolutionary. A total spotfest down the stretch. This is more fun than most Bob Backlund matches because it is just spot-spot-spot. I can see why Backlund detractors would really like this and why fans in 1979 would pop huge for the finish run. That is the exact finish run used to get This Is Awesome chants now. I really enjoyed it, but not at the level of other Backlund classics that have that struggle and progression to a more powerful climax. This is Bob Backlund's fun summer blockbuster. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1979-06-04-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Great Hussein Arab