Pro Wrestling Only

Sek Watches WM 6

sek69

I was watching this today, as seen as part of the WM box set, and it was interesting to watch it with more enlightened eyes. I saw things in a way I didn't when I was watching when it happened ( I was 12 at the time).

First off, I noticed that what makes Jesse and Gorilla such a good team is that they're both ex-wrestlers. If someone went for a pin too early, they'd call them on it, and by the same token they did a superb job discussing the strategy for each guy in the match. They actually agreed with each other a lot more than I remembered, there was actually very little face/heel announcer bickering.

One thing that immediately leaps to attention is not only do they re-dub a lot of the music (Demoliton, Koko, Snuka, Dusty, Slick) they also have the Fink re-record his ring intro over the newly dubbed music. To say it's noticeable is an understatement. They tried to recreate the echo of the real ring annoucement and it just sounds cheesy fake.

It's interesting to watch the matches as well. People complain about the boring WWE Main Event Style, but the style they work in most of the matches here isn't too far from what we see today, lots of groundwork, lots of "rest holds" being used as snug wear down moves instead of the loosely applied breathing breaks we see so much now. A more grounded style, yet few of the matches were actively boring. The crowd was into most of what was being offered to them.

Something else that gets your attention (especially since it's a recent topic of discussion here) is Shawn Michaels' build. Watching the Rockers vs Orient Express match makes it clear the Rockers were into more than recreational drugs. Even his build during his WWF title run looks puny by comparison. It also must be noted that either Shawn smokes a lot or he hadn't hit puberty by WM 6 since his voice sounds about 4 octaves higher in the pre-match interview.

There's also tons of commercials for WM7 with Vince in voice over promising the largest crowd in LA Coliseum history (whoops), which is topped later by Jesse commenting that next year WM is in his town and he already has 20,000 tickets on hold (double whoops since Jesse was gone from the WWF by then). Hearing Vince boast about WM 7 potentially drawing 100,000 is almost worth the price of admission itself.

There's also the hilarity of having Steve Allen be one of the celebrity interviewers, even sitting in for commentary for a match. Allen, for those who don't remember was one of the people who helped the PTC gain national attention.

I have to say Warrior-Hogan is probably the best match either guy ever had, quality wise. Of course you can't help but think to Hogan's comments on the Warrior DVD where he said that he knew Warrior wasn't going to cut it when everyone was paying attention to him after the WM match instead of the new champ. Seeing as how they did everything but have violinists play a weeping Hulkster back up the rampway, it's no wonder.

Guest Mike Campbell

One thing that immediately leaps to attention is not only do they re-dub a lot of the music (Demoliton, Koko, Snuka, Dusty, Slick) they also have the Fink re-record his ring intro over the newly dubbed music. To say it's noticeable is an understatement. They tried to recreate the echo of the real ring annoucement and it just sounds cheesy fake.

Thank god for Coliseum Video

I still don't get why they had to replace half the music. I can't imagine Jimmy Hart played hardball with them. Someone in the Amazon reviews said it had something to do with Rick Derringer, but he did Real American too and they certainly have the rights to that song.

I still don't get why they had to replace half the music. I can't imagine Jimmy Hart played hardball with them. Someone in the Amazon reviews said it had something to do with Rick Derringer, but he did Real American too and they certainly have the rights to that song.

I sometimes wonder if a lot of the legal stuff has to do with them going public in 2000. From what people have said, there was never any issues like this with the music with the original VHS box set done in 1999. I really gotta bug Meltzer about this sometime.

It probably had something to do with DVD being a new medium. Any rights deals set up before DVDs only mention rights on TV and audio/video tape, and companies are finding they have to make a new rights deal for DVD. I guess its what happened here.