Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-09-17-TNA-Impact] A.J. Styles vs Alex Shelley

El-P

AJ Styles vs Alex Shelley (TNA iMPACT! 09/17/04)

iMPACT! really hasn't been a good or interesting show since its debut during the last months of the weekly PPV era. Lot of competitive squash which doens't work well when you have X-division guys or Jeff Jarrett. Not much in term of angle except regular "chaotic beatdown", which has been overused to death. The timer on the screen may have sounded like a neat and different idea, but it also expose of rush much of the matches are, including the competitive ones. Anyway. this was a good TV match, lets call it a good iMPACT! match which isn't as a good as a Nitro match because it more rushed. I always enjoyed Alex Shelley since he showed up as Goldylock's "Baby Bear". Although it took me weeks to figure out why that nickname. I never thought about the translation of "Goldylocks". Anyway, he's got a nice matwork style which is really refreshing, bumps well, works crisp, doesn't do contrived shit. So, good match against AJ Styles. And at some point, toward the end, I'm pretty sure, but I may be wrong, there's a timid "This is awesome" chant after an AJ Style kick out. It's repeated like two or three times only. I have no idea what was happening in ROH at the same time, but it must be one of the very forst occurence of the most famous chant of post 00's pro-wrestling on TV. Thus, it's quite interesting. And the match is really a good iMP.. screw that, Nitro match.

• GSR changed the title to [2004-09-17-TNA-Impact] A.J. Styles vs Alex Shelley