Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-07-10-TNA-Destination X] A.J. Styles vs Christopher Daniels

Superstar Sleeze

AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - TNA Destination X 2011

Another match of the year contender from AJ Styles in 2011 in a style of match that could not be more of a departure from the violent, bloody war with Bully Ray. This was an excellent, mutual respect face vs face technical classic. What stood out to me the most was hope well they weaved their shared history throughout the match. We have all seen the usual we know each other sequences (both throwing dropkicks at each other, yawn) this felt authentic and on top of that it was consistently played upon throughout the entire match unlike in similar matches where it will eventually be dropped.

The beginning chain wrestling and armdrag work was amazing. It felt like a struggle and felt like two guys out there to prove who is the best. I liked them both knowing they were going for dives and avoided. I loved Daniels knowing the typical AJ dropkick sequence. Only for AJ to catch him unawares, but in doing so NOT getting full extension. Daniels forced him to hit the dropkick from an uncomfortable vantage point so in order to hit it AJ had to sacrifice impact. Great storytelling. By the same token, the match finally turns when Daniels hits suicide dive. But this was not an ordinary suicide dive. A typical suicide dive sees the catcher get up and prepare himself to take the dive. Because Daniels knows he needs to catch AJ unawares just leaps out onto him tackling him before he can prepare himself very cool. Then he hits the bigger dive over the top rope for more impact but set himself up first with the smaller surprise dive. I really dug these touches throughout the match. Another great example was AJ knowing Daniels was going for a split-legged moonsault and knocking him off the top rope setting himself up for a quick dive where again Daniels was not in a position to catch him and instead AJ landed nastily on Daniels' neck. The work in between the transitions is solid, but the transitions are really incredible. After AJ's control segment, we see it end because Daniels knows the Springboard Forearm is coming and he knocks him off the top rope and AJ takes a nasty spill. AJ is busting out Fujiwara armbars and Daniels is doing Crossfaces just to keep each other off balance because nobody can hit a signature move! I am digging this story a lot. I really liked AJ intentionally slipping off the top rope on a springboard to put over the danger of the move. There should be more missed and countered moves in wrestling in my opinion that's what I really liked about this. I really liked the symmetry of the finish. AJ put his foot up on the Best Moonsault Ever attempt and this led to the Styles Clash for two. So then he tries the Springboard 450 but eats knees and this sets up the Angel Wings for two. I was not crazy about the set up for Spiral Tap as it was a bit contrived why was Daniels going up top in the first place he does not have a finish in that style and then all of sudden we are battling over Angel Wings only for it to be countered. Spiral Tap is badass though.

Great, great story. Both men had to wrestle a completely different match than they are used to because they were completely committed to showing they had the other scouted this led to a lot of interesting counters and offense that felt sudden and urgent. I do feel that during the finish there was a bit of fizzle and did not really build to a big crescendo. It was a missing a spark to really put it over the top. A really cool and interesting match that I think could be template for new style of wrestling that focuses more on missed moves and counters and the opportunities they create rather hitting moves cleanly all the time. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2011-07-10-TNA-Destination X] A.J. Styles vs Christopher Daniels
  • 5 months later...

It's so stark to watch these guys wrestle each other 10 years apart, where they haven't changed in a lot of outward ways, but have adapted their styles and become so much smarter over the years. The moves are still cool, the offense still impressive, but they really work hard here to pace this out and build things slowly. Never a dull moment, but they also don't peak this too soon, and the build to the big moments gives them some more gravitas. The crowd is actually chanting for Spiral Tap by the end. Really great stuff, must see if you enjoy either guy's work.

• 1 year later...

Watched this match without reading my review. I kept noting ok if I need to bring up this highspot or this plot element, but my original review covers it all. The match totally holds up. Although it is longer than I remembered which is a pleasant surprise I am glad they got the time to flesh out a story. I co-sign everything I wrote along with the rating. It is their babyface vs babyface, clean technical marvel match with a ton of cool scouting/counter touches. They force each other to wrestle completely different match than normal. Definitely one of the greatest TNA Matches of all time! Highly recommended.