Pro Wrestling Only

Buddy Rose vs. Tough Tony Borne (5/30/81)

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...

I didn't much care for this one.

First of all, I can't stand the way Buddy was DQed. If Don waants to make a rule saying that a wrestler's not allowed to pick up his opponent from a pin attempt more than once and the second time's an automatlc DQ, that's fine. But don't simply leave it up ro Sandy, who interferes whenever he damn well pleases to start with. Even spots that other refs do aren't the same when Sandy does them, like going outside the ring to stop a guy from using a chair. You see that fairly often, and most of the time it's understandable and seen as part of the ref's job. But with Sandy, it seems like he's just tired of the heels at times and doesn't want to see them win. Sometime before the end of this set, I want to see Buddy or Oliver crack Sandy right on top of the head with a chair at least once just to show that even someone like him should expect to face the consequences if they're going to get that physical.

Second, Buddy gave Tony way too much of the match. I know the school of thought is that Buddy's giving the fans a chance to see someone finally beat the crap out of him, but the wrong Borne's doing the beating. I realize that it probably wasn't advisable to have Tony do a decisive job, but at least let Buddy have more than an eye rake and a post shot. Ideally, this should have gone about five minutes before Matt stormed the ring and got his father DQed for outside interference, followed by a huge brawl that Matt got the better of. Tony looked good for what he did, but his issue with Buddy's only on the periphery. This is another thing Vince got right; when a manager or tag team partner took someone's part during a feud, the match involving the interloper was short, inconsequential, and led to a furthering of the issue between the two main combatants. Don achieved the third here, but he forgot about the first two,

Nice tutorial by Frank on the difference between Tony and Toni Borne. It helped those viewers with bad eyesight to no end, I'm sure.

Tracking Buddy's Weight: He sure as hell wasn't two-forty. In fact, he was just about as fat here as he was in the AWA. I'm thinking two-eighty with a bullet.

I wasn't aware that Buddy was from Texas. I wonder if he ever really met Larry Hagman (J.R. Ewing), considering how much he talked about the character in his interviews.