Pro Wrestling Only

Matt Borne v. Brett Sawyer (5/22/82)

goodhelmet

• 2 months later...

This was a classic slow-build match; it started with some excellent wrestling, then slowly turned the aggression up until everything spillled outside the ring. I wasn't surprised at either the length or the inconsequential finish once I found out that Hack would be working the main event tag match at the end of the show. Nothing really stood out to comment on, which isn't surprising since this was an opener. Borne didn't even break the rules much, though he was notably more aggressive than Hack.

Borne really looks scuzzy with the beard, which I guess is part of the point, since he's part of Buddy's Army now.

Nice updates on what Buzz is doing in Georgia, and also on the condition of Peter Maivia, who woyld be dead not long after this. Whilr I'm on the subject, I wonder if anyone told Matt why Rocky wasn't in the building. If someone did, it's in a bit of poor taste to issue an open challenge to someone whom you know isn't there and won't be coming for reasons completely beyond his control, even if you ​are ​a heel. They could have saved that bit for when Rocky came back to town.

The Jimmy Afi whom Frank referred to, in case some of you don't know, is Sivi Afi of WWF fame. He was trained by Maivia, and his original home territory was Hawaii, so I'm guessing that what Frank said about going back to help Maivia's family run the promotion was true,

I liked hearing about Buddy's self-imposed exile after he failed to win the belt from Flair, especially the part where the promoters tried to keep him from coming back, but were told that they had no grounds to keep him out because Buddy volunteered to leave on his own and wasn't contractually forced to do so. I'm guessing that Buddy may have been on a foreign tour, as he didn't make his WWF debut until June 1 at a Championship Wrestling ​taping in Allentown, PA.