Pro Wrestling Only

Chris Colt vs. Jesse Barr (5/7/83)

goodhelmet

• 2 months later...

I thought Jesse was there to do the job, so seeing him get the win so cleanly surprised me. Not that he didn't deserve it, as he looked great here. How someone with such talent got stuck playing Vince's dime-store version of the Lone Ranger is something I'll never understand.

Colt was treated as a much bigger deal when he came back in 1986-87 than he was in this match, although that might have had to do with the fact that Portland's roster was paper thin by then. He really didn't do much here of note except complain about Sandy refereeing a match involving his son. Actually, he had a point. I know Dutch and Coss fell all over themselves telling us how impartial Sandy always was when he was refereeing Jesse's matches, and he did a good job proving it here. But he still shouldn't have been in this position. Was Luke Brown taking the day off or what?

I liked how the match led into the discussion of Dutch's son wanting to get into the business as a wrestler, which Dutch didn't seem too thrilled about. He wasn't even happy with the idea of Mark (the son) working for Don in any capacity, from what I could tell here. I wonder if Mark ever made it as a wrestler, even for a few matches here and there. The highlight of this conversation was Dutch talking about how Jesse should be afraid to screw up in the ring while his dad was refereeing so he wouldn't have to face Sandy's wrath at home.

We ended up getting the tag match that Dutch teased. In fact, Piper/Billy Jack-Flair/Oliver made this set as an extra.

As far as alternate name for holds go, "English crab" for camel clutch isn't the worst in the world. At least it sounds like something someone would call a wrestling hold.