Pro Wrestling Only

Irish Pat McGhee vs. The Assassin (1/5/84)

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...

This was pretty much a competitiove squash to set up a tornamrnt final in Salem (the capital of Oregon) between Curt and Assassin. The major theme of this one is Assassin and his loaded mask, which he uses to bust McGhee open badly. Curt has to make the save in the end because Assassin has McGhee tied up in the ropes and at his mercy. As a result, McGhee is disqualified. The announcers seem to be okay with this, mostly because McGhee's bleeding all over the joint.

I would have loved to see McGhee upset Wiskowski. In most tournaments, there's one match where a jobber gets a win over a star just to prove that it can happen, and this was apparently the one for the Salem tournament. The announcers play up an arm injury that McGhee suffered in that match in order to make him more of an underdog.

I guess I shouldn't call McGhee a jobber, as he held some kind of tag team title with Curt. "Lower-level talent" would seem to be more accurate.

Interesting that Oliver was the first one out of the running for the trophy, and also that some of the eliminations occurred within a battle royal, Usually when there's a tournament, all the entrants get at least one tournament match.

I had no idea that Salem had its own distinct TV program. I have no idea who the play-by-play guy is, but the analyst sure sounds like Stasiak.

Can't wait to see the final!