Pro Wrestling Only

Billy Jack Haynes v. Kendo Nagasaki (2/3 Falls) (2/2/85)

goodhelmet

• 3 months later...

​First fall: ​This one belongs mostly to Billy Jack. It's his return to Portland from Florida and Texas, and he has a party with Kendo, showing off all of his trademark power spots. He doesn't win with the full nelson, though, preferring to come off the second rope with a huge forearm to the throat to get the pin and take a 1-0 lead at approximately the fifteen-minute mark (disc time).

Coss (who's working solo here) and the fans are thrilled to have their hometown hero back, and he's just as thrilled to be ​back. Even though Piper may have been more popular for a longer period of time, Billy Jack gets louder pops and knows how to milk them better. He constantly encourages the fans to make noise, whereas Piper just kind of lets whatever's going to happen happen.

Nice explanation of the previous history between these two in Florida from Coss. Even the smaller promotions didn't always choose to acknowledge each other's feuds, so it's nice to see Portland doing so here.

I wish we could have gotten the kendo stick match on tape. Other than being able to use the sticks as weapons, I have no idea how a match like this would be worked.

Don may have been the first person to use the name "Billy Jack Haynes" in the introductions to this match. It's understandable that Billy Jack would want to use his real name as a tribute to his dad, but the name "Billy Jack" was so well-known in the Portland area that I can't blame Don for not wanting to let it go. "Billy Jack Haynes" was the natural compromise. It's just a shame that the man's become such a nutcase over the years, to the point that the name's a great big joke these days.

Kendo's not a bad worker for the gimmick he has; he shows here that he at least knows basic wrestling (arm wringers and such) ad he moves really well. He still looks like an accountant out on a spree, though.

​Second fall: ​Kendo takes most of this fall with his precision chops and kicks, plus a well-timed chair to the forehead that busts Billy Jack wide open. This fall actually has two finishes, as Kendo first covers after a side backbreaker. Sandy counts thee, but that finish is ignored. My guess is that Billy Jack was supposed to kick out and forgot. So Kendo fires him into the ropes and nails him with a thrust kick to the jaw. That must have been the planned finish, as this time Billy Jack stays down for three. We're even at a fall apiece with about five minutes of disc time remaining,

Don must have planned to use "Billy Jack Haynes" all along, as Big Ed calls him that several rimes in his promo between falls.

I loved Coss's reaction to Kendo using a chair on Billy Jack; he calls Kendo an animal. There's just something so honest about a reaction like that, even if it makes him sound like he's never seen a wrestling match before in his life. Similarlym he complains a lot about Kendo's martial arts, even though none of his kicks and chops come near Billy Jack's eyes or throat.

Don's warning to the fans about staying away from the ring is being completely ignored, as a wide shot of ringside clearly shows many in the crowd straining to get as close to the ring as they can. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot anyone can do about it except either warn the fans to get close at their own risk, as Don did before the match, or clear the arena, which is not only undesirable but impossible.

When was the last time Portland had a non-wrestling manager? I'm sure they had a few over the years, but on this set we haven't seen any, at least so far (I have fourteen matches to go after this one).

Third fall: This fall ended in a double countout, and the match was a draw. I accidentally wiped out the commentary I did for this fall. Sorry, guys!