Pro Wrestling Only

Bobby Jaggers vs. The Cuban Assassin (2/9/85)

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...

This seemed like a compettive squash at frst, but any match where one guy bleeds can't rightly be called a squash. Much like Steiner in the last bout, Cuban didn't use much more than basic heel offense, yet Jaggers still bled a gusher, which was kind of surprising in a short opening bout like this.

Jaggers looked a lot like Dusty Rhodes with the long blond hair and the blood all over his face.

We know it was a long ago era when a clothesline, fancy name aside, is someone's finisher. Jaggers didn't even put his whole arm into it like Stan Hansen does with the lariat. It was just a rather ordinary-looking clothesline.

I forgot about the nice reverse neckbreaker Cuban used when I was talking about his offense above. It was the best-executed move of the whole match, and given how he wrestled the rest of the bout, it seems a bit out of character.

Both Dons refer to Jaggers' opponent as just "the Cuban" for the most part. It puzzled me for a moment until I realized that there had already been two or three Assassins in the Portland area in the past few years, so they probably did it to avoid possible confusion on the fans' parts. How a bearded guy without a mask and supposedly from Cuba would ever get confused with another guy wearing a mask I'll never know, but this is wrestling we're talking about.

Hyperbole of the Night goes to Coss after Jaggers gets the win: "The USA wins!" I know what he was trying to say, but he made it sound like President Reagan was already on the phone waiting to congratulate Bobby on his victory.