Pro Wrestling Only

Billy Two Eagles vs Karl Steiner (6/29/85)

goodhelmet

• 1 month later...

This was another bout (on the same show, no less) that was marred by a quick DQ. Slamming someone on the floor may technically be illegal, but since when do refs actually disqualify a heel for doing it, even if he does it twice like Steiner did here? Were they trying to save time for something else, or did Sandy just get a finish ("Steiner gets DQed, Sandy") and decide to do it then rather than wait for another spot? I know there was a two-minute time call right before they went outside, so maybe they took too long to get to the DQ and Sandy had to improvise.

Steiner looked much better here than he did than he did against Kiniski. He was able to show off some skill and athleticism as opposed to just trying to roughhouse and cheat. The snake eyes spot on the turnbuckle may be the most violent I've seen, and he threw some really hard forearms as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll do against Jaggers later in the disc.

Two Eagles was all right, but the Indian gimmick kind of limited the moves he could do. How many tomahawk chops can one guy throw? He worked on Steiner's arm nicely early on, but he never followed up with it, and once Steiner took control, he kept it pretty much the rest of the way. The brief brawl after the match was well done.

How did the PNW singles belt and one of the tag belts get lost? It sounds like there should be a story of some sort behind that, but we didn't get it here, though we did ​get a number that fans can call if they know what happened to the belts. I guess the next step would be advertising them on the back of a milk carton. :D

Don really put a lot into that spiel about Steiner during his intro. It sounds like he thought of Steiner as a potential top heel or close to it, but things didn't pan out that way.