Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-01-28-WWE-NXT Takeover: San Antonio] #DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa) vs The Authors of Pain

ShittyLittleBoots

This was great. The Authors of Pain looked like absolute monsters, they were really great in this one. DIY were fantastic too, it's really funny how Ciampa & Gargano went from shitty PWG performers to one of the absolutely best tag teams in the whole world - they were really great as the babyfaces working from underneath, loved their hope spots & comebacks. Fantastic stuff. ****

I agree that this was a great match. I especially liked the early exchanges with DIY having to make a herculean effort to get on top of the Authors. It was brought down a bit in my eyes by the synchronised offence and reversals towards the end, which felt a bit contrived. Other than that though, it's hard to imagine the AOP having a much better match than this. ***3/4

Ciampa is great, except his double slap on both thighs when he hits his flying knee is so bad. Maybe it's the camera work, but man that really sticks out. I liked the callback to the end of the Takeover Toronto match with AOP instead powering out and slamming Gargano to break the submission. This was booked well. I was also right at **** on first watch.

• GSR changed the title to [2017-01-28-WWE-NXT Takeover: San Antonio] #DIY (Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa) vs The Authors of Pain