Pro Wrestling Only

Funniest WO newsbit ever

sek69

Guest Famous Mortimer

You are. They can't stop you from selling your own master tape on eBay, and if they did get it taken down you'd have grounds for a legal challenge of some sort to eBay.

You are allowed to sell masters, and if you wanted to go through eBay's convoluted dispute system you'd probably win, but WWE has been using a scortched earth philosophy for handling eBay auctions. I've heard people say they were selling masters and got their auctions ended since WWE's legal team basically squashes any auction with WWE or WWF in the title.

Guest bravesfan

There was a never a system in place that did the work for them, like MarkMonitor will do. What was labor and time with two or three employees becomes the ability to check a program and see the offensive auctions.

I've heard people say they were selling masters and got their auctions ended since WWE's legal team basically squashes any auction with WWE or WWF in the title.

Or someone sent a "TOS violation" report to eBay and they didn't bother to look at the offense.

Guest Bruiser Chong

As long as they leave the master tapes alone, I'm all for this. Being someone who's seen the great variety of legit wrestling videos shrink and be lost in a sea of pirated videos and DVDs, this is a good thing. I'm not trying to block the dude making a few bucks from his copies, but there are some sellers on there who rake in hundreds monthly soley from burned DVDs and copied videos.

Someone ran afoul of the WWE despite the fact that they had permission to sell the footage they were dealing in. Meltz speculated that WWE is going to try to go after anyone who sells footage that contains anyone under a WWE Legends contract, which would be pretty much any footage you come across. What's sad is despite the fact that doing that isn't even close to legal, eBay will never stand up for its users because they probably think all wrestling = WWE.

Guest teke184

The problem is that a *lot* of the footage sold on eBay is bootlegs of stuff owned by the WWE... I'm talking WWE shows, WCW shows, ECW shows, Jim Crockett Promotions shows, AWA shows, and several other libraries.

WWE doesn't own Smokey Mountain, Mid-South / UWF, Championship Wrestling from Florida, World Class, and several other big-name promotions, but has attempted to buy several of them in the past.

A good test-case would involve someone legally selling pre-recorded WWE tapes.

The *best* test-case would involve someone selling pre-recorded tapes of stuff Vince does NOT own. The Wrestling Gold series with Memphis, Southwestern Championship Wrestling, Smokey Mountain Wrestling, and Ohio Valley Wrestling footage comes to mind.

Guest teke184

I think WWE does own Smokey Mountain.

Jim Cornette still owned the Smokey Mountain footage as of the past few years.

IIRC, he still sells old Smokey Mountain footage through the OVW site. (He still owns part of OVW even though the WWE refuses to let him work there anymore.)

He may license footage to them at a bargain rate because he works with them but I'm sure he still insisted on owning the original footage and the rights.