Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-05-FWA (UK)-Evil Intentions: About to Explode] Sabu vs Dirtbike Kid

soup23

This is the last match Cagematch has listed for Dirtbike Kid so if anyone else can add some commentary to his career, that would be appreciated. It is nice to see Europe get on the scene in the 2000’s with FWA and it does have a different atmosphere already. The European table that gets set up looks really bizarre and flimsy as it collapses when Sabu just gets placed on it. Sabu overall in 2000 has been inconsistent at best but I thought this was his best effort as the action here was relentless and transitioned from spot to spot keeping the pace going. Sabu signature spots like the triple jump moonsault were hit well. A photographer at ringside is wearing a WOW magazine shirt and that takes me back to middle school. Dirtbike Kid’s high spots look good too and from just this match, he looks like a better version of Suicide Kid. Another table collapses when Kid gets placed on it this time. Sabu gets fed up and slams the table onto Kid to a big pop. We get a slight clip towards the end with both men swinging chairs at each other on the outside. The finish is the most off spot of the match as Sabu barely makes contact on the legdrop through the table that was placed in the corner of the ring. Overall, I didn’t expect much from this but it turned into a fun spotfest with plunder Sabu showcase. *** (6.2)

• 5 months later...

Dirtbike Kid throws what might be the worst dropkick ever to start the match. That was just pitifull. The story of this match is Sabu killing kid with a spike and vicious chairshots. Kid does a few nice dives but overall looks bad. Sabu getting more and more mad as the tables kept breaking was funny. That finish looked pretty bad even if Sabu hit him.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-05-FWA (UK)-Evil Intentions: About to Explode] Sabu vs Dirtbike Kid

Single leg take down by Sabu and the two roll about on the mat exchanging punches.  Dirtbike avoids a springboard kick and gets a two after a reverse crossbody.  I genuinely can’t tell if the dropkick he throws to the knees was a way to take the legs out from Sabu or he screwed up.  Even after reviewing it several times I’m still not sure but will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Sabu rolls to the outside where Kid catches him with a plancha off the top turnbuckle.  There’s a cut in the video and we return as Sabu reverses the Irish whip sending Dirtbike clattering into the guard rail.  He then pulls out a spike to bust Kid open, the fans chanting “We Want Blood” at the same time.  Slingshot guillotine leg drop.  They’re back on the floor and Sabu sets up a table when he’s cracked over the head with a chair.  Kid looking fresh as a daisy now, no attempt to continue selling the beating he’d just been on the receiving end of.  That was some flimsy table, giving way the moment Sabu put any kind of weight on it.  Top rope rana by Sabu that was unconvincingly and badly set up.  Triple jump moonsault.  He positions a chair for ‘Air Sabu’ but as he turns around, Kid picks up that chair and blasts him in the head.  John Lacey, Sabu’s manager/handler, has just got in the ring and placed a table in the corner, the referee casually letting him do so.  Moonsault by Dirtbike for a two.  Kid throws Sabu to the outside and it’s tough to see what’s going on as the camera is on the opposite side of the ring.  It does appear another of those flimsy tables breaks though when Sabu tries something and he looks legit frustrated.  The finish comes after Lacey once more involves himself, Sabu leaping off his back and putting Kid through that table he had earlier positioned in the corner.  He doesn’t really put him through it though, Sabu breaking the table himself so it’s a super weak looking ending.

Our first look at the FWA, which was a pretty big deal in UK wrestling in the early half of the decade.  Dirtbike Kid is probably best known for being the guy that the Great Sasuke shot on in the Michinoku Pro Masked Man tournament one year, although did make his way across the pond, at least once, to wrestle for ECW at the Arena.  The ‘US imports’ thing hadn’t been overdone at this point so it was still a rarity to get a big Indy star in the UK, even if he had appeared a couple of times here previously.  Kid looked bad and basically just a bunch of Sabu spots, which I suppose was all this crowd wanted.  Not for me though.