Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho (2/3 falls)

soup23

I was pleased to see the brawling happening right away carrying over the hate of the build up. In fact, this match is the antithesis to the notion that all 2/3 falls matches should go long. This told a cohesive story in 13 minutes and felt complete without feeling rushed. Benoit was ferocious in working over the arm and scores the first submission. Jericho is really reeling and has to dig deep to find some opening before gaining it in the second fall with the Walls. The third fall may have gotten a little too bomb heavy and too much back and forth but the work was really well done with Benoit coming forward and Jericho never using his neutralized left arm. The finish was off of a rolling pin combination I don’t think I have seen but it looked sickly smooth with Benoit rolling into the right position and maximizing that by hanging onto the rope for the win. Overall, these two are building a damn great feud together. ***3/4 (7.6)

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's because he's in with Benoit but Jericho brings a little more intensity and seriousness to this and it pays off for me. His arm selling is good and he seems to bring some extra stiffness against his old foe. And it really does tuck itself nicely into the build of the feud.

Benoit of course brought a focused attack and tore Jericho apart. I never felt this reached some super high echelon but it never fell off for me and it was a hell of a tight 2/3 falls match with a shady yet fine finish.

***1/2

• 3 months later...

This was weak sauce. It reminded me of what a turn off this feud was at the time. it was clear that they were trying but after feuding with Triple H and The Rock, respectively, it would have taken the match of their lives to conceal the disappointment of being shuffled sideways. This feud along with Benoit vs. Angle were the nails in the coffin of my WWF fandom. I quit too soon in retrospect because the Smackdown Six era was closer to what I wanted to see from Benoit and Co. in the WWF but this was a reminder of why I was so frustrated with their early work.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-08-27-WWF-Summerslam] Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho (2/3 falls)