Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-06-02-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Sgt. Slaughter vs Paul Orndorff

Superstar Sleeze

Sgt. Slaughter vs Mr. Wonderful - Philly 6/2/84

I love the WWF in 1984. The roster is absolutely loaded and they just do all these random pairings. In the late 80s, you would wrestle the same person for like 3-4 months straight. Here McMahon books more like Crockett/WCW where it does not matter if two wrestlers have an issue. He just puts two over talents together and let magic flow.

I have not been kind to Mr. Wonderful in my past reviews. Usually describing him as solid and good at everything without being great. Orndorff gave his best performance yet in this. Easily the best Orndorff match I have seen thus far. Slaughter in 1984 is at the peak of his powers. Orndorff was a fucking heat magnet in this. Doing his best Larry Z impression and Philly was eating it up. They loved chanting Paula and even Slaughter was egging it on. Slaughter was great in this. I loved him atomic dropping Orndorff from the post with the robe still on. Disrobe him but first blasts him with a clothesline. Puts on the robe and does some flexing. Nice! Orndorff is a bumping maniac in this. Orndorff out of desperation rams him into the actual turnbuckle drawing blood. Orndorff is put together and it is weird that both of his arms are normal looking. Orndorff is a nasty heel in this, working the cut. Slaughter's comeback was great. Beautiful punches and that wind up and punch was great. Orndorff is killing it. Just when I am thinking "Wow Orndorff is out-bumping Slaughter", Slaughter takes his totally nutty, out of control bum over the top rope to the floor. I mean that was an insane version. The King of the Mountain that follows is glorious: Slaughter's selling while Orndorff cuts him off at every pass and is posing and taunting. The ref gets bumped so Wonderful hits him with knux. Orndorff tells him to count, but Slaughter is about to get in and Orndorff goes over gets yanked out. SLAUGHTER LIGHTS WONDERFUL UP! OH MY GOD! That was awesome. Slaughter gets a chair. Orndorff heads for the hills. Ref calls for the bell and Slaughter cant use the chair. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Orndorff wins by countout. BOOOOOOOOOO! I really wanted to see Slaughter blast Wonderful. Total bump-a-thon by these two and just awesome 80s wrestling throughout, camp at the beginning, blood, violence and loved the drama of the King of the Mountain finish. They don't make em like they used to! ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1984-06-02-WWF-Philadelphia, PA] Sgt. Slaughter vs Paul Orndorff