Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-09-07-ECW-Cleveland, OH] Tommy Dreamer & Mikey Whipwreck & Jerry Lynn vs C.W. Anderson & Simon Diamond & Johnny Swinger

soup23

A shockingly great brawl that mixed up violence and comedy and most importantly regarding ECW, it felt heated and didn't overstay its welcome. Some of the nut shots and dick selling in this were honestly really strong. The cane of Sinister Minister is used, Sinister Minister does the claw which made me laugh and Dreamer ends up selling his private region for most of the final portion of the match. Dreamer in particular was strong with brawling throughout the match using a trashcan and keeping things heated. Overall, I am really enjoying late era ECW more than I thought mainly based to the addition of new characters. ***1/4 (6.7)

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty fun brawl that feels like it really would have benefited from having multiple camera angles, as there was a lot actually going on (as opposed to just kicking and punching). I really feel like the heels here would have had a shot to be something in ECW if they'd have had a bit more time to get built up, but at this point they're definitely JTTS.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-09-07-ECW-Cleveland, OH] Tommy Dreamer & Mikey Whipwreck & Jerry Lynn vs C.W. Anderson & Simon Diamond & Johnny Swinger
  • 9 months later...

Simon, C.W. and Swinger have a problem, one which they eventually get around to informing us about after throwing some insults towards the various local sports teams.  Mikey Whipwreck and the Sinister Minister are already out and Simon says that there is no way Tajiri and he should’ve beaten them in the tag team tournament final.  He knows that Tajiri is in Japan and Mikey is going to have to take the butt kicking that the three of them are about to dish out.  The Sinister Minister refers to the three of them as “Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Da-Fuck” and says how they clearly never went to Sunday school because if they did they would know that if you mess with the devil you get the horns.  He’s got a couple of friends with him who are still pretty pissed off with Simon & Swinger from the tag team tournament, and those friends are Jerry Lynn and Tommy Dreamer.  The match commences with everyone going at it on the floor although C.W. and Lynn, the more proficient wrestlers, quickly move into the ring where they’re more comfortable.  There is just so much going on here, too much for the lone cameraman to keep up with.  Simon with a Russian legsweep on Dreamer as things appear to have slowed down after that chaotic start.  The Sinister Minister grabs Simon’s ankle from ringside, however as he reaches down over to get him he slides his cane into Tommy who then hooks it between Simon’s legs.  He ties him in the ‘Tree of Woe’ and the Minister is in to apply a testicular claw.  Dreamer places a chair in front of Simon’s face and dropkicks it but is caught by a C.W. exploder.  The heels get the briefest of heat on Dreamer including hitting a double flatliner.  Anderson straddles himself across the middle which gives Tommy the chance to make the hot tag.  Lynn with a tornado DDT on Simon and then C.W. with a spinebuster on Lynn.  Dreamer is doing his best to help his partners, but is more of a hindrance in there at the moment.  The attempted ‘Problem Solver’ is broken up and the faces each hit their finishers concurrently for the win.  Dreamer rushes out of there as soon as the match is over, still holding that shoulder, so maybe he wasn’t selling it and was genuinely hurt.

Agree with the comments that multiple cameras would’ve been beneficial here due to how much was going on.  I doubt I’ll ever fully come to an opinion on Simon & Swinger; one minute I’ll see something in them, next minute time out “what was I thinking, they’re as dull as dishwater” and so it continues.  I’ve not been huge on this house show, but if you’re going to check out something make sure it’s this brawl which was a nice surprise among the mediocrity of everything else on the card.