Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-01-23-WWE-Smackdown] Chris Benoit vs Charlie Haas

Superstar Sleeze

Chris Benoit vs Charlie Haas - WWE Smackdown 1/23/03

Stephanie McMahon, at the peak of her hotness (she is still pretty hot), says the word "tonight" about 8 million times and then bends over and you get it.

Benoit is such a great TV worker it is not surprising that there is no definitive list of all his great TV matches. This is a match that I have never seen pimped. I only watched it because it is on the same show as a Angle vs Rey Rey match that has been pimped. I was very impressed. This is such a breath of fresh air compared to the rote men's floor exercises that pass for pro wrestling today. This was intense, gritty competition to see who the better man is. The opening matwork was fast and furious with some great trips and counters. Benoit looks to get things going with a shoulderblock and clothesline, but before he can run away with the match Benjamin distracts long enough for Hass to slam his hand into the steps. Hass, who I liked growing up even if he was a little shallow in the charisma department, crushes this heat segment. Absolute laser focus on the left hand, wrist, and elbow. He is working great holds and keeping it moving. Benoit is amazing at selling. Truly a great seller. Well timed hope spots. Loved him trying to chop back only to have Haas wrench him down hard by the bad arm. When it comes time to make that comeback, Benoit just lets loose but never letting that left arm leave his side. Instead of rolling Germans we just get a release German. He cant hold onto a Crossface so he counters into a cradle for the win. That is the definition of finding a way to win all your weapons are taken away. Haas was great working on top. It was two wrestlers wrestling to see who the best was, Haas got the advantage in underhanded fashion and pressed it, Benoit ever resilient fought his way back and found a way to win. I love pro wrestling. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2003-01-23-WWE-Smackdown] Chris Benoit vs Charlie Haas
  • 3 years later...

This was the complete opposite of the Angle/Mysterio video game style. Benoit and Haas worked completely old-style trading holds and having Haas work over Benoit's hand so he couldn't apply the Crippler Crossface. Benoit did a fantastic job of running through his offence with only one arm. Really neat unorthodox TV bout.