Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-12-31-IGF] Hideki Suzuki vs Josh Barnett

superkix

On the English HDNet broadcast, one of the commentators referred to the matwork as "dirty grappling", which fit well here, considering these two grunty dudes trying to manage the opposing bulk -- opposing bulk well-versed in the same catch-as-catch-can approach. Between the leg jockeying and the back-and-forth for arm control, Suzuki and Barnett conveyed the struggle of not only applying the holds, but keeping them locked on, and exhaustion of throwing around that weight working against them. This was my first exposure to Hideki Suzuki and it was clear to me early on that there's a lot to love from him as a worker. The fact that he just reaches in and coolly slaps Barnett across the face says a lot. He had a good grasp of selling with subtly, which he did here with the leg Barnett kept going after. I haven't seen much of Barnett's pro-wrestling career but I like that he's scrappy and rough-edged. He'll boot Hideki in the face before applying the single leg before transitioning into a brutal-looking STF. The powerbomb and suplexes were an awesome component of this match to establish itself as "strong style pro-wrestling" but within that, there were cool touches, like Barnett going back to the arm after each suplex, or Hideki using his weight as a counterweight to Barnett's throws. Barnett destroying Hideki with the Northern Lights Bomb from seemingly out of nowhere was the cherry on top of it all. Great stuff.

• GSR changed the title to [2011-12-31-IGF] Hideki Suzuki vs Josh Barnett
  • 3 months later...

Great match. Loved the different presentation that this match had. The pride style ring, the arena , the style. Excellent stuff. Added a lot. The grappling was really good, Suzuki held his won, being on the defensive but blocking Barnett's attacks well, mounting a few comebacks with some nasty forearm shots. Sent the crowd wild at times. ****1/2