Pro Wrestling Only

[2008-01-27-WWE-Royal Rumble] Edge vs Rey Mysterio

Superstar Sleeze

World Heavyweight Champion Edge vs Rey Mysterio - Royal Rumble 2008

Can Rey Mysterio wrestle himself to a great match? The answer is yes he can. Edge is just a lump of flesh. He does nothing. He has all the charisma of a potted plant. Rey does botch one move early, but other than that it is all Rey. I think they went for throwing out the Edgeheads too early as it did not get the reaction that spot usually gets. I liked the attempted 619 leading to a plancha to the floor and then a seated senton. I thought the beginning was a little disorganized but they settled in there. Rey then springs up to the middle rope maybe for a reverse crossbody, but we will never know because Edge kicks out his bad leg (injured by Chavo in 2006 and cost Rey one year of his career). Edge proceeds to hug Rey's leg. Michael Cole is talking about force he is using, but he was literally just hugging his leg. Rey to his credit sold the whole thing like a million bucks. Loved his hope spots enziguiri and bulldog. He needed head rocking spots to get back into this. There were times when he really shouldn't have used the leg like the double stomp from the top but then there were times when he was genius like the belly slide into a tornado DDT to the outside. Edge really has no stooging or bumping that is entertaining or interesting. Edge hits a big boot to let us know he is alive, but he goes for the Spear he ends up in position for 619. Dial it up and the splash. Vickie pulls out the ref. Oh Vickie was already in the wheelchair and I don't know why. I thought the 619 put her there, my bad. Rey is pissed. Edge goes for spear ends up on the ropes. Vickie puts herself in harms way. Takes the 619. Now that's true love! Rey is conflicted but goes for a springboard senton and Edge hits a spear outta mid-air. Strong finish like Vickie getting involved and the Spear outta mid-air. Rey sold well and built his comeback gradually and expertly. Rey rules! ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2008-01-27-WWE-Royal Rumble] Edge vs Rey Mysterio