Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-15-Monterrey] Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla & Brazo de Oro vs Pimpinela Escarlata & Charles Lucero & Diluvio Negro I

soup23

Nice to see journeyman Lucero get a shot in 2000. Him and Charles start off and he leads Emilio through his most smooth mat sequence of the year. This carried a natural progression of having PImpinela shenanigans being the focal point. That is enjoyable to watch and it is done well here. Mr. Niebla really goes all out on the finish faking the foul. Like most of the Monterrey stuff, its an easy watch if not something that feels absolutely essential to the year as a whole. *** (5.9)

• 5 months later...

Charlie Lucero is one of my favorite maestro workers so I was looking forward to this. I'm used to seeing him work as a tecnico so I was surprised he was on the rudo side here. He's not the most fiercely charismatic wrestler but he gave it a go. He had a neat exchange with Emilio to start things off. Emilio has been struggling physically in 2000 but he's still chugging away. The rest of the bout was built around the tecnicos' contempt for Pimpi. Niebla was a bit too spiteful for my liking but there were some quality Pimpi spots and I liked the dynamic between Pimpi and Brazo de Oro. I'm sure you've all seen the George Kidd spot where Johnny Saint and Steve Grey roll themselves into a ball. At one point, Pimpi did perhaps the most disturbing ball in wrestling history. Then he proceeded to sit in the lap of one of the local men which didn't please the old guy sitting next to them. The match wasn't really heading anywhere but I still hated the finish. Tecnicos faking a foul is one of the worst finishes possible and made Niebla seem like even more of a dickhead. Oh well, at least I got to see Charlie.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-15-Monterrey] Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla & Brazo de Oro vs Pimpinela Escarlata & Charles Lucero & Diluvio Negro I