Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-10-19-IWRG] Silver King vs Scorpio Jr

soup23

This was a very damn good match. It was worked mostly apuestas style with a ton of submissions and working to gain leverage. Silver King looked impressive in the early going being one step ahead of Scorpio. That is how he gains the first fall. I liked how the third fall really milked each spot and each pin attempt felt like a legit finish. We even get a questionable foul call. I also appreciated the lack of bullshit that Scorpio is finally able to lock in a reverse Boston crab and win the match. I had high hopes for this one and they delivered. ***3/4 (7.6)

• 4 months later...

When you think about it, rudo contra rudo title matches are pretty rare. For the most part, this was worked as a clean fight. It was chippy at times and there was some controversy over a possible foul by Silver King but mostly it was hard fought title-match wrestling. Scorpio, in particular, worked like a defacto tecnico champ. He's taken a lot of pride in the heavyweight title so that doesn't come as much surprise but it was still a side of him that you don't regularly see in other settings. Silver King put up a strong challenge. He brought his A-game in terms of athleticism and agility and came pretty close to scoring an upset in the tercera caida. But Scorpio in this setting is a bit like a Mexican Triple H. He's the Game and once again used his smarts to seal the win. Good, competitive match. Some nice matwork in the primera caida and some good back and forth stuff in the falls that followed. I liked Scorpio's suplex work and the power he got on his lift. The nearfalls were well done and the submission holds were sold well. The only thing holding it back from a MOTYC level was that it was more compact than epic but it was a tight bout without much fat and worth comparing to the Villano IV title defense to see which is better.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-10-19-IWRG] Silver King vs Scorpio Jr