Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-12-23-MPPW-TV] American Dragon vs Derrick King

Edwin

• GSR changed the title to [2000-12-23-MPPW-TV] American Dragon vs Derrick King
  • 1 year later...

Prior to the match we get an appearance from Jerry Lawler, looking resplendent in his Christmas jumper.  ‘The King’ doesn’t say much, just plugging the upcoming Corinth Chaos card on 1/13 featuring a bunch of WWF superstars (Tazz, Raven, Too Cool etc) and his Christmas Chaos book.

Dave Brown reminds everyone what went down last week, the American Dragon challenging Spanky for the Light Heavyweight title, when all of a sudden he turned on Derrick King, as it looked like he was going to help him, and rejoined the Kliq.  The opening is almost Lucha-esque, I’m not sure what the Memphis regulars thought of that?  King just about holds on for the headscissors before sitting Dragon on the top turnbuckle and landing a top rope rana.  Dragon rolls under the clothesline and dropkicks the left knee of DK, Brown pointing out the problems that King has had with that wheel these past few weeks.  Danielson’s working over of that knee for the next few minutes is exemplary.  He calls for a second dragon screw, but King gets in first with an enzuigiri.  DK fires back, unfortunately he starts running across the ring and doing leapfrogs, no selling all that leg work and pretty much making everything that’s gone before redundant.  He only gets a two count following a powerslam and, thinking the referee slow counted him, is in his face complaining.  Dragon knees King in the back who crashes into the official.  As DK tries to wake the ref, Dragon loads his mask, headbutts King and then puts the object back down his tights.  King gets a foot over the ropes to break the count, however Shooter Schultz and finally Spanky’s subsequent interference is too much; the champion KO’ing him with the title belt as Dragon escapes with the victory.

A quick promo from Raven closes things out.  It’s another plug for the Corinth show (he can’t concentrate on Christmas because this is all he’s thinking about!) but he says less that ‘the King’ did earlier.

Dragon’s leg work was great, then that all counted for nothing due to King’s non-selling of it on his comeback.  The match was good up until that point and I get Spanky/King is the end goal but it’s not a match I’m in any hurry to see (even though I have!) based on what went down here.