Pro Wrestling Only

John Cena is my favorite wrestler

Loss

Guest Kevin Cook

"Tanking" is probably too harsh because like you say, he was still drawing money, but I was really referring to character wise and on TV. Most of those weeks he was coming out and getting absolutely booed out of the building, no matter what they tried.

WWE's spent the decade teaching fans that pure, old-fashioned babyfaces are pussies to be treated as heels and that anyone on top who isn't Triple H is going to eventually get punked out and sent down to the midcard; is it any wonder he was getting booed? He figured out a way to work as the top heel and the top face at the same time by working the harder-than-hardcore fans while bringing in new ones who cheer him, and was so good at it that he skillfully turned the company's top heel face.

I'm not clear what in this can be disagreed with.

The fans who boo Cena are at this point doing exactly what he's working them into doing and they have been for a long time, since well before Wrestlemania.

"Tanking" is probably too harsh because like you say, he was still drawing money, but I was really referring to character wise and on TV. Most of those weeks he was coming out and getting absolutely booed out of the building, no matter what they tried.

WWE's spent the decade teaching fans that pure, old-fashioned babyfaces are pussies to be treated as heels and that anyone on top who isn't Triple H is going to eventually get punked out and sent down to the midcard; is it any wonder he was getting booed? He figured out a way to work as the top heel and the top face at the same time by working the harder-than-hardcore fans while bringing in new ones who cheer him, and was so good at it that he skillfully turned the company's top heel face.

I'm not clear what in this can be disagreed with.

The fans who boo Cena are at this point doing exactly what he's working them into doing and they have been for a long time, since well before Wrestlemania.

I don't see how Hunter turning face was down to Cena when there was an obvious shift in HHH's character. It's not like HHH was playing the exact same role he always has, started feuding with Cena and was suddenly a face. That's where I disagree. Given the change of his character and the change in how he's been used since early-March (if I remember correctly, from the first promo he had with Cena, Hunter was given lines obviously designed to pop the fans), I think the booking is responsible for his turn more than anything else.

Other than that, I agree with virtually everything else you said.

Guest Kevin Cook

Posted Image

It's all X-Pac heat! This kid doesn't exist and even if he did he wouldn't count because wrestling is about moves and not little kids rooting for their heroes and being disappointed when they come up short!

Guest Alfdogg

goldengreek may be the single worst poster in TSM history. Those who have been there or still go there can vouch that this is quite an accomplishment.

Posted Image

It's all X-Pac heat! This kid doesn't exist and even if he did he wouldn't count because wrestling is about moves and not little kids rooting for their heroes and being disappointed when they come up short!

That may be my new favourite wrestling picture. Unbelievable reaction! Between that, and the older Cena non-fan reacting just after the finish to the WM22 main event and I'm loving how the WWE is using Cena to drive emotions from fans, both Cena fans and non-fans. Great camerawork by the WWE to capture that too!

Thanks for posting that, Kevin. :)