Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-11-02-IWRG] Villano IV vs Scorpio Jr

soup23

Two of the most unheralded lucha workers of 2000 go out and have another really good match against each other. Some solid wrestling and progression that leads up to the climax in the final fall. Neither one of these men seem to reinvent the wheel but it remains engaging. The third fall had a foul attempt from Scorpio but I was shocked and delighted that he ends up pinning Villano clean on a sunset flip take over. Scorpio will easily land in my top 50 wrestlers of the year and there will certainly be a spot for Villano IV between the trios matches and his singles showcases. IWRG continues to be neck and neck with CMLL as far as my favorite lucha promotions. ***1/2 (7.1)

• 1 month later...

We've seen this matchup before in 2000 so we pretty much knew what to expect. This was shorter than their last title fight and lasted around 15 minutes. So instead of lying around on the mat wrenching submission holds, the picked up the pace and worked a more fluid style. That didn't always look the prettiest when they were transitioning between holds since Villano IV wasn't the most nimble guy on his feet, but they built to the finish well and the deciding fall was brisk and exciting. At times it felt like two heavyweights working more of a lightweight style but it worked out okay. It probably could have done with a bit more drama but at least the rhythm and pacing were strong. And, as always, it was a welcome spotlight for Villano IV. Possibly the least of Scorpio's title defenses this year but still good, which tells you a lot about his title reign. I'm sure his dad had a lot to do with him having the belt but he's defended it with aplomb and it's hard to think of a better championship run during this lucha season.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-11-02-IWRG] Villano IV vs Scorpio Jr