Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-05-CMLL] Negro Casas & Atlantis & Mr Niebla vs Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero & Tarzan Boy

Sean Liska

I'm not great at breaking down CMLL main event trios from this era because even though I enjoy them, they are fairly formulaic compared to the mid-90's when you weren't as sure about what you were going to get. But this was a typical fun match from these guys and the big angle after was Satanico coming out to attack the rudos. Very excited to see some fired up tecnico Satanico on this set.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-05-CMLL] Negro Casas & Atlantis & Mr Niebla vs Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero & Tarzan Boy
  • 2 months later...

Finally, Tarzan Boy is a rudo and officially affiliated with the Infernales. The match is story driven but it makes for good TV. You've got to love the confidence with which Tarzan Boy slaps the shit out of Casas, and I liked their standoff prior to the Satanico run in. As usual, the booking is confusing with the Infernales standing around trying to reason with Satanico while he attacks Tarzan Boy's leg. You would have thought that all ties had been severed between them when Ultimo Guerrero and Satanico had their bust-up in December, but I guess Satanico is still officially a rudo, blah, blah blah. 

• 1 year later...

If the IWRG was a good intro to lucha overall, this was a strong first match to show what was heating up in CMLL.  Tarzan Boy is mixing in well with UG and Bucanero and they have some swank triple team moves to win the first fall.  Second fall has the inevitable miscommunication and then the tecnicos are able to take advantage as the rudos have to talk it out amongst themselves.  Third fall has a weird finish as Satanico comes in, tries to rip the Infernales patch off Tarzan Boy’s pants and then turns tecnico by raising hands with the tecnico team and the new Infernales regroup on the outside. ***1/4 (6.3)