Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-01-19-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Negro Casas & Emilio Charles Jr vs Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr & Shocker

Sean Liska

I will watch every Casas match here, I'll make that vow. Casas and Santo make a great comeback after taking a beating. Charles is teasing dissension with his teammates. After another great Santo/Casas flurry, Charles just lays down and gives himself up to get pinned! I enjoy the modern product but I kind of miss the days of CMLL having some semblance of plot development. And then Charles finally just starts attacking his partners as we hit the home stretch.

This was a great exhibition of Casas/Santo greatness and we get a new feud out of it, thumbs up.

• GSR changed the title to [2001-01-19-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Negro Casas & Emilio Charles Jr vs Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr & Shocker
  • 2 months later...

Uh oh, now Emilio is teasing a rudo turn. You know what that means, another drawn out story match. But it's all right. Watching Emilio on the apron is entertaining and the crowd is super hot. The rudo fan who always comes to the shows with the glove and cowbell fucking loves it when Emilio lies down for Bestia. Imagine if he'd been an NWO fan. He would have lost his shit over the Fingerpoke of Doom. Santo and Casas are really good at playing aggrieved tecnicos and manage to work a hot comeback in a match that's 100% angle. Emilio doesn't fuck around like Tarzan Boy and turns rudo in no time but Shocker isn't ready to accept him yet. Loved watching Bestia play the middleman. I'll never tire of watching him slap the shit of people either. What a great worker that guy was. He was a stud when he was young and wily as fuck during his W.C. Fields days. 

• 1 year later...

A loaded show in Arena Mexico. This was mostly an angle advanced match but one I appreciated. Like OJ states above, even someone like me that liked the Tarzan Boy turn, it was drawn out for a long time so seeing Charles just deliberate and then beat the shit out of his opponents here, it was refreshing. I also continue to enjoy that with these big turns they are not automatically accepted by all members of the opposite side. Casas and Santo are the perfect duo and really are up there with Kobashi/Misawa and Kawada/Misawa as long term rivals that are also great tag partners. ***1/2 (7.1)