Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-11-26-JWP] Command Bolshoi vs Azumi Hyuga

ohtani's jacket

This was exactly what you'd hope for from these two workers at the tail end of the year and at this stage of Hyuga's development. They worked the match-up perfectly -- Hyuga was bigger, more athletic, more dynamic while Bolshoi relied on her wits and ring smarts. There was the usual array of hybrid lucha-shoot style spots from Bolshoi and she utilized the shotei to great effect throughout the bout. Watching this I felt she was neck and neck with Super Delfin as far as juniors go and watching her use the shotei reminded me of what a poor year Liger has had in comparison. The match was tightly worked -- not an epic but competitive and a great vehicle to push Hyuga further ahead. And it was a compelling watch from beginning to end with very little in the way of fat or excess. If you like your Joshi to be a bit smarter then this was one of the better examples from 2000. 

A long and weird vignette starts off with Bolshoi going into girls bedrooms and hanging out and signing stuff for them. Some of those rooms looked depressingly small. I really enjoyed this match a ton and especially the escalation and reliance on big moves to lead to the transitions. Bolshoi has such a good base of technical wrestling but she can ramp it up when needed and Hyuga is gaining confidence as not just an athletic worker. Together, they put together a sixteen minute match that felt like the perfect length and even though the JWP fandom is sparse, it was a great match for those fans that did show up. **** (7.8)

• GSR changed the title to [2000-11-26-JWP] Command Bolshoi vs Azumi Hyuga