Pro Wrestling Only

[1989-09-08-WCCW] Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry

USWA World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry - World Class 9/8/89

Honestly, I'll confused about Texas' status at this point. I don't know if Jarrett/Lawler owns Dallas yet or if they are just aligned. This definitely takes place in Texas as Mark Lowrance is on commentary.

Eric Embry comes out with Percy Pringle to Loverboy's Turn Me Loose looking like the biggest 80s, tubby sleazeball jabroni of all time but is over huge as a babyface. What!?! You can get over anyone as a face. 

This is like the most pro wrestling pro wrestling match ever. I feel like when non-fans think of wrestling they think of this and that's what gives Vince McMahon nightmares, goddamnit. The Three Stooges routine, the over the top foreign objects, gimmicks like Skandor Akbar and Tojo Yamamoto. Lowrance calls Lawler's shenganians "bush league". The whole thing does feel bush league but in a charming way. You can't help but smile when The King catches a kick from Embry, gloats, eats the enziguiri, face bumps and let's out a groan as he takes a powder. It is just fun.

Heel Lawler's Schtick can be encapsulated by the above example. He eats a lot of punches, misses a lot of moves and ends up on his ass. I really liked him telling the audience before the match that was new ordinance in the NFL against too much noise and that same went in the USWA. Ha! Once the shine is over, Lawler finds a towel and chokes Embry. It is hide the towel now. It is classic Lawler. He hits him his boot. Now it is cocky covers. Too cocky so Embry makes his comeback. Straps down! Embry seems very mediocre. This is very clearly a plug n play match. Lawler could wrestle this match with anyone. Embry is not injecting anything unique. The finish is a clusterfuck. Tojo, Akbar and Percy lead to a big distraction. Lawler rolls up with tights in one hand and ropes in the other. Lawler is committed.

This is a Heel Lawler match with all the fixins. Embry is just a warm body. It is cartoony as hell but a fun way to spend 15 minutes. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1989-09-08-WCCW] Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry