Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-12-12-CMLL] Ricky Marvin vs Virus

ohtani's jacket

This was a lightweight title match that got decent amount of time. I was looking forward to Virus being given a showcase match at Arena Coliseo and it didn't disappoint. It was worked in more of an up tempo "lightening match" style than classic title match fashion but that fit Marvin's style and produced enough exciting moments to make it worthwhile. They fubbed a few things, most notably the finish to the opening fall, but for the most part, the action was crisp and Virus added some neat touches to the transitions. They kept their eyes on the prize in terms of building to a satisfying conclusion and even though I'm a Virus fan I felt that Marvin going over was the right call. The crowd was happy, Marvin's stock rose a bit, and Virus once again excelled at the age-old art of making your opponent look good. Worth watching for all of Virus' small touches and the bigger arc of Marvin's dives and daredevil appeal. It doesn't really compare to Virus' title match work as a mini or his maestro run from a decade later. Consider it a bridge in between and marvel at how good Virus is on a minute level. That's what I did. 

• GSR changed the title to [2000-12-12-CMLL] Ricky Marvin vs Virus
  • 3 weeks later...

I was so happy to see this given time and it didn’t disappoint. Virus is probably going to be in the William Regal vein as far as top 100 workers of the year in that I have little doubt he isn’t up to elite levels but I’m not sure if the resume can justify that. The contrast between the two with Virus tricked out matwork and Marvin mixing in his highspots were gorgeous to watch and this felt like one of the 10 minute lightning matches you get in CMLL current day that wet the appetite for something more. All of the falls felt logical and actual moves of consequence that could have conceivably led to a fall and Marvin winning at the end got a good reaction. A really fun highlight later in the year from Arena Coliseo. **** (7.8)

• 3 years later...

Maybe the most unfortunately named wrestler to praise for the past couple years but VIRUS! A lot of the best rudo luchadores always manage to do the classiest looking grappling, while still keeping in character just by reacting to everything, and Virus just brings it. You can play-by-play some of this to me on paper and I'd be like "ehhh" but the execution is where the in-sync-yet-unco-operative magic happens. They even did some 'duck a backflip pose' thing and then Virus just dropkicks Marvin in the chest for it. First fall had a pretty great botched finish where Marvin slapped on an octopus, but Virus tripped to one knee, which looked like a potential counter until Marvin just improvised with a crucifix pin while Virus' leg was still caught up. Shout out to Virus' abdominal stretch, where he stepped backward so one of Marvin's ankles was rolled. Was pretty ugly. The second fall was great, with Marvin trying for a bum rush but after one Irish whip too many, Virus splats his face on the ground like he's shaking sand off a beach towel. I almost thought they'd go for two falls based on how kick out-heavy it was getting but Virus wasn't done bringing the face splats to tear Marvin down. The third fall started with Marvin not even being able to stand without tumbling which was a super cool dichotomy to the sprint he did to start the second. Falling flat on his face after Virus ducked the lariat was maybe a little goofy but hey he pulled it off all right. His tempo picks up throughout the fall but I thought, for the most part, he did a really good job of coming across as someone pushing themselves. Virus is unreal good at "caught off guard" selling, including somehow making dropkicks to the knee look like they should actually be flipping him 270 degrees. This was really, really good.