Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-11-25-NWA Southwest] Al Jackson vs Action Jackson (Texas Death Cage)

soup23

Good indie cage match. It had some good punches and use of the cage. Action got some good color and mounted a nice comeback. I figured we were in for a swerve with the seconds and predictably we get that here to derail things for the finish but overall this was a nice treat for individuals that were watching this promotion weekly. Good cameo by Hotstuff Hernandez at the end to save Action Jackson too. *** (6.2)

• GSR changed the title to [2000-11-25-NWA Southwest] Al Jackson vs Action Jackson (Cage)
  • 11 months later...

So these guys are brothers and Al Jackson is the southwest champ going in. I thought this was pretty bland with Al in particular not adding much. Action did bleed decently but he basically laid on the mat while Al punch and kicked him. They did the old Memphis chain spot which was funny twice. The finish with everyone running in took forever. Best thing about this match was Al Jackson's theme music.

• 2 months later...

A Texas Death cage match between Texas Heavyweight champion, Al Jackson, and his brother Action Jackson.  Escape the cage rules are in operation and there is no referee inside the cage, just on the outside, his only job being to see which man’s feet hit the floor first.  There’s one final stipulation, should Action win, then he gets five minutes in the ring with Al’s manager, Steve Moody.  The commentator notes that Action is very serious as he makes his way out, there’s no strutting or dancing with the fans like he would be normally doing.  Al resorts to raking Action across the eyes as he’s been choked in the corner, before removing his own T-shirt and using that to choke Action with.  Moody tosses a chain to his charge, something that infuriates the commentators, however as they reiterate, Texas Death rules means anything goes.  Al slams Action head first into the cage, who then makes a real poor attempt at concealing the fact that he’s blading forehead.  Our commentary duo are shocked to find out he’s been busted open; they need to keep a closer eye on things!  There’s a puddle of Action’s blood on the canvas already as Al repeatedly launches him into the cage.  Moody throws a second chain to his charge which he uses to choke Action with.  Considering there are no rules why does he just stop choking his brother, surely you’d just choke him out?  Action, covered in blood but feeding off the cheers of the fans gets a second wind, firing back and staggering his opponent.  Irish whip is reversed and he sends Al flying into the cage.  Moody hurls a chair into the cage, Al getting in one fairly weak shot before Action swipes it away and floors Al with a shot of his own.  I’ve no problem with the soft looking chair shots, or the wrestlers getting their hands up (like Al did), just makes a change after seeing the likes of Ian Rotten doing his best to cave people’s skulls in.  Someone called Mac Daddy is out and he attacks referee Rick Manning, I think to get the cage door keys off him.  The Gravedigger then shows up, followed by the Blackbird Posse, the Beast and Luscious Larry, all fighting amongst each other at ringside.  In the ring Action lays out Al with a uranage.  Moody is now in the cage, but his shots have zero effect and he gets thrown into the steel.  As Action goes to leave, Baboose slams the cage door into his head and then pulls All out.  Manning sees Al on the floor and awards him the win, Action’s NWA Southwest career apparently now over with the loss.  I’m pretty certain that has not been mentioned once up to this point.  Al and Baboose are not done, double teaming Action until Hotstuff Hernandez makes the save.  The footage closes with Baboose singing “Na na na na” at Action.

I think I sit somewhere in the middle of the two commentators on this one.  The match consisted primarily of a lot of punching, choking and throwing into the cage, something that I think played out better due to Action’s blade job.  Finish was overbooked and then some with all the run ins.  Would’ve been nice if the commentators had bothered to mention that Action would be out of NWA Southwest at some point before he’d eaten the loss!

• GSR changed the title to [2000-11-25-NWA Southwest] Al Jackson vs Action Jackson (Texas Death Cage)