Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-06-24-Mid-South-New Orleans, LA] Rock & Roll Express vs Fabulous Freebirds

paul sosnowski

.....I CANNOT believe what I just saw as the finish of this match!!!!!   

Michael Hayes accompanies Terry Gordy and Buddy Roberts to the ring.   "Come along with me, to the land of make believe, Rock and Roll is King!!!"  The crowd is chanting "Go home, Freebirds".    Buddy Roberts and Robert Gibson start the match, locking up, then both reverse a hammerlock.   Roberts with a rope break, which seems to further incite the crowd.  Gibson reverses a takedown into a head scissor on the mat.    Gibson tags in Morton who grabs Buddy as Gibson hammers his chest.  Hayes yells at the crowd, "I'll show you some rock and roll".  Morton monkey-flips Buddy and squares off with him, before Terry Gordy comes in for the first time.   He punches Morton's head and then, as Ricky runs the ropes, Gordy attempts a standing bodypress and misses!!  Gibson tags in and Gordy immediately hits a German on him, followed by a vertical suplex.    The Freebirds take control as Gibson's head is rammed into the turnbuckle, Buddy and Gordy hit a double team kick to the gut.  Morton loses his temper and runs in, but Gordy and Hayes take advantage in the corner.   Ricky gets the hot tag and works over Buddy before whipping him to the corner, Morton tries to follow up, but Buddy moves and Ricky charges and rams his own shoulder hard into the post.  Terry Gordy comes in with a lariat and two huge fistdrops, Morton whips him to the corner, Terry jumps and hits a bodypress off the second rope.  Buddy hits Ricky with a flying elbow as Gordy stomps him into the mat.   Roberts hits a running bulldog headlock, Gordy comes in, drops Morton's throat on the ropes, Michael Hayes nails Morton from the outside.  Gordy tosses Morton high over the top rope, but the ref doesn't see it!!!   Morton is desperately in need of a tag as Buddy rakes his eyes on the top rope.  Morton gets a sunset flip, but Buddy drops down and punches him in the face.   Freebirds tag and Morton runs at Gordy with a bodypress, but Gordy catches him, powerslams him and a big elbowdrop for a 2 count.  Buddy is in again and goes for a piledriver, but Ricky backdrops him and rolls to Gibson for the hot tag.    Gibson goes off on Gordy and gets two big dropkicks on the Big Man, beating on Buddy, back to Gordy.  Robert Gibson rolls Buddy up for a visual three count, but the ref is distracted by Hayes and Morton going at it.    Terry Gordy casually walks over and scoops up Gibson and hits him with THE MOTHERF'N GANZO BOMB FOR THE PIN!!!!!!!!!!  (See: Misawa vs Kawada 1/22/99).   Fabulous Freebirds get the win at 11:10.   This was very fun, but nothing special until the finish.   I'll give it 3 1/4***

• GSR changed the title to [1985-06-24-Mid-South-New Orleans, LA] Rock & Roll Express vs Fabulous Freebirds