Pro Wrestling Only

[1967-03-02-JWA] Bruno Sammartino vs Giant Baba

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1967-03-02-JWA] Bruno Sammartino vs Giant Baba
  • 2 years later...

NWA International Heavyweight Champion Giant Baba vs WWWF World Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino - JWA 3/2/67 Two Out of Three Falls

Cagematch says this was only for Baba's International Heavyweight Championship, but Bruno comes out strapped up so it is unclear to me. I am pretty excited to see Bruno in his prime. Two of the biggest stars in the history of pro wrestling! Clash of The Titans! Huge fight feel! Feels like a real worlds collide match! 

First Fall: Bruno can wrestle! He is aggressive to start. In the pre-match interview, a lot is made about Baba's size. It could be a case that a good offense is a good defense and Bruno would rather dictate the pace. You see Baba bodyslam or shove off in these holds. No one is gonna confuse Bruno with Dory or Jack but he is adequate. Baba likes to fight from underneath which is an interesting decision, but he makes it work. He is a great sympathetic babyface even with his size. I didnt think Bruno was too heelish in the first fall. They trade full nelsons at one point. Bruno uses his patented Bearhug which looked great especially how Baba sold it for the finish to the first fall. Bruno up 1-0. I was surprised Bruno won clean in the first fall.

Second Fall: As customary, this is the shorter fall. We get some crowding in the corner and even some dirty boxing from Bruno. Baba is left clutching his back from the Bearhug. Bruno locks it in close to a corner and the ref forces the break. Here comes Baba! Big HEAVY Hands from The Giant! Love his chops. They are like half-Garvin, half-Liger, but from a Behemoth! There is a great overhead chop when Bruno is on his knees that the crowd pops huge for. I thought that would be the finish, but no Baba sends him for the ride and it is JUMPING CHOP TO THE HEAD FOR THE WIN! Tied 1-1! 

Third Fall: Is built around each man's respective finish and I loved that psychology. Bruno would keep locking in the Bearhug and Baba would keep crowning Bruno with a wicked big chop. It was so simple and so damn effective.   It is only 4 minutes but is so BIG and Titantic befitting these two international superstars. Baba started off pressing his advantage. Crowding Bruno in the corner felling the powerhouse with chops and then repeatedly stomping him when he was down in the corner. Massive boot from Baba pops me huge! Bruno comes and drives his knee into Baba's head repeatedly. He steps on Baba's throat repeatedly really heeling it up now. Goes for the cover and gets two. Bruno drives the knee into Baba's back, kicks to the back, double axehandles to the injured back. Baba is such a great seller. BEARHUG! Great sell! BIG CHOP TO THE HEAD! Bearhug won the first fall for Bruno and the Chop to head won the second fall for Baba! Bodyslam by Bruno as he keeps pressing but only gets two. Great fight over the BEARHUG! Two times in a row Bruno tries for the Bearhug and each time Baba chops the head. Then Baba rolls to the apron. Bruno does the Bearhug through the ropes! I love the tenacity! Chop to the Head! Baba is selling like a million bucks. Baba collapses to the floor. It is a double countout finish to set up the big rematch in less than a week. Bruno gives a promo saying that Baba is not a real champion because he does not finish the match in the ring, he is weak and is coward, basically.

That third fall took what I thought was a very good match and made it a great match! Baba's selling was next level and really drove the match for me. Bruno not to be outdone his tenacity was awesome! Looking forward to their one hour broadway! ****1/4