Pro Wrestling Only

Prime Time with Sean Mooney

• 2 months later...

I had no idea there was even a thread here for this podcast until I just searched. And what a coincidence. I came here to post about the older episode with Bruce on as the guest. I wanted to give this show a shot, so I figured I'd start with a familiar voice.

"The Legend of the Lord" and his "young maidens" is fucking aces. Lord Al cruising around Connecticut in a powder blue Continental, with a bunch of British nannies packed inside and being pimped out to high-end households, is just tremendous. I needed Man's Man Steven Regal in this gimmick & never even knew it.

Mooney's got a GREAT voice for this stuff. And the fact that he got some new stories out of Bruce - who basically makes the rounds retelling the same tales again & again now - is a big bonus.

I'm not going out of my way to burn through this backlog quickly or anything, but I'll definitely dip in & out to catch some episodes when I want to hear something different.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just randomly selected a much older episode, covering the art of the promo - back when big Jim Doogan was still on as co-host.

Duggan is surprisingly insightful, intelligent, and well-spoken. I remember really digging his Back to the Territories with Corny & his Timeline with Sean Oliver, and he sounded about the same here.

Hacksaw is candid & casual about the rampant cocaine use going on in the 80's, which is really refreshing.

Mooney tells a neat little story about hearing Hogan giving advice about interviews to a newcomer. Mooney has a real respect for Hulk, which is also cool. The episode covering Hulk's rise in the WWF is another solid show, although it doesn't offer up a lot of new information or anything. It's more about hearing Mooney's side of things, which (for me) is the draw here in the first place.

Duggan tells a fun story about Brian Knobs getting knocked out on a tour bus in Europe. It's probably been told before, but this is the first time I recall hearing it. "How'd I do..?" Good stuff.

Mooney touches on Warrior's manic mood swings & bizarre behavior a bit, but he doesn't totally shit on Warrior's interviews, even though you can read between the lines & draw your own conclusions there. In fact, going back to the earlier story, it would be easy to assume that it was Warrior whom Hulk offered the advice to early on - and then Warrior interpreted the wrong message from what Hulk was trying to tell him.

Either that or, ya know, ungodly amounts of his test/coke super soldier serum was always going to produce insane, incomprehensible promos. Little of column A, little of column B maybe.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think this show has dropped a new episode in awhile - and I don't listen to it regularly or anything - but it's always a good listen.

Mooney brings some degree of insight, but his perspective is much more casual & loose than you get from most hosts. I enjoy that a great deal.

The older episodes with Duggan are a blast. Hacksaw brings this refreshing old school mentality. I particularly loved his definition of "success" in pro wrestling. Good stuff.

EDIT: Just saw a NY Post article mentioning how Hacksaw spent Thanksgiving in ICU. Hope he recovers soon.

• 2 months later...

It's not my favorite pro wrestling podcast or anything, but this show has been quietly awesome for awhile. I could listen to Mooney interview just about anybody.

He's not a know-it-all or a deep-cut insider. Mooney comes from a mostly casual perspective and takes care to approach his interviews with a welcoming, inviting style. It's excellent, easy listening.

• 1 year later...

Most people are aware that Sean Mooney is now doing interviews, and a News Desk segment on NWA Power.  On this week's episode he promoted the next episode of his podcast, featuring Trevor Murdoch as a guest.  I checked it out, and really enjoyed it.  If you have time, and especially if you enjoy Trevor Murdoch (and great Harley Race stories) I highly recommend this episode.  I am excited as well because he says he is going to have more NWA stars on his podcast in the future, and is also considering an NWA themed podcast.  Thought some people might want to check this out.

• 4 months later...