Pro Wrestling Only

[1977-12-19-WWWF-MSG, NY] Billy Graham vs Mil Mascaras

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1977-12-19-WWWF-MSG, NY] Billy Graham vs Mil Mascaras
  • 5 years later...

WWWF Champion Superstar Billy Graham vs Mil Mascaras - WWF MSG 12/19/77

Bonus review today to make up for the lack of reviews this week! Never seen a Mil Mascaras match before, but I was present for his Hall of Fame Induction ceremony where he claimed he could speak Japanese: "Toyota, Sony, Mitsubishi" not the most tasteful thing to remember but it got a good laugh. I remember hearing on a podcast back in the day the big three babyface travelling stars of the 70s were Dusty, Andre and Mascaras. It is cool that we got Dusty and Mascaras back to back series after Bruno was done. I would have loved to seen Andre vs Graham in MSG. That would have been something!

I thought this was a very entertaining blend of Superstar's style and what I believe to Mascaras' style as I have not seen some of these highspots in other WWF matches as to be expected. Grand Wizard is out with Graham and is staying at ringside. So Mascaras goes to the back and fetches MY BOY, Bob Backlund! Oh how I have missed you so! So the push begins. Wizard gets thrown out mid-match to a pop and neither he nor Backlund play into the finish. 

Mascaras starts off with the usual fast break offense as a shine which has Graham bumping and stooging. No one will confuse Superstar with Barry Windham, but just because a guy is not graceful does NOT mean he is not an effective, entertaining bumper or stooge. Graham in the 70s has made up what he lacks in natural athleticism with effort and charisma! That is important. I get it if he is lazy or phoning it in. Lets dog him for it, but I enjoy his style. Mascaras gets an early Surfboard complete with a foot to the back which really shows off Graham's definition and physique. Unlike in other Graham matches, it is NOT Superstar putting the hold on first sometimes it is Mascaras as we see with the Surfboard or the Abdominal Stretch later. Mascaras also fares well in the Greco-Roman Knucklelock Test of Strength. Where Mascaras shines is adding in those wrinkles of Lucha Libre to keep Graham and the WWF audience off their feet such as headscissor, armdrag or dropkick. Mascaras himself will not win any awards for grace himself but the high spots are appreciated. Graham does add in his usual staples: the Full Nelson and the Bearhug and true to form Mascaras reverses each of those into his own. I also liked the wrinkle mid-match that Graham was so overwhelmed that he powdered and came back and choked out Mascaras that was a very nice heel touch. Along with trying to take off the mask which I am sure is a staple of Mascaras matches. The finish was excellent! Mascaras bangs Graham's head off the steel post outside to trigger the bladejob. Graham has the juice flowing. Mascaras hits his big finish, a crossbody headbutt! Big pop! Ref waves the match off as Mascaras makes the cover. It is PANDEMONIUM IN THE GARDEN! THE REF RAISES MASCARAS HAND AND THE CROWD ROARS! Alas he only won by blood stoppage and thus the title does NOT change hands. Boo!

Call me crazy but I dug this! I really thought this was neat melding of these two's distinct styles. I know both are regarded as poor workers but I thought both had great charisma, styles meshed well and an excellent finish! It wont have you writing home to Mom about what a great match you just watched, but it was very enjoyable. ***1/2