Pro Wrestling Only

[1977-08-29-WWWF-MSG, NY] Billy Graham vs Ivan Putski

paul sosnowski

• GSR changed the title to [1977-08-29-WWWF-MSG, NY] Billy Graham vs Ivan Putski
  • 5 years later...

WWWF Heavyweight Champion Superstar Billy Graham vs Ivan Putski - WWF MSG 8/29/77

Bad wind storm in Mass on Monday and played tennis at lunch with my friend who is home from New Zealand, means it has been a while since I did a walk 'n' review. Skipping Graham vs Bruno from August 1977 because I didnt want to waste time looking for it. Instead staying on Peacock and watching Graham vs Mr. Polish Power himself Ivan Putski. Putski is a shawty aint he. It looked pretty funny watching him try to apply a full nelson to Graham. I would be remiss not to mention that Superstar was rocking his Sun Devils shirt and look.

Classic Graham-style match or is it a classic WWF Championship style match. I need to watch more Graham outside of WWF and more 70s WWF without Graham to tease that out. Basically Graham applies a hold. Putski with his dogged determination and Polish Might escapes the hold and applies that same hold back on Graham. The three holds in question were a strange chinlock/wristlock combo which I didnt like, a Full Nelson and a Bearhug. Graham being head & shoulders taller than Putski made for a strange visual in both the Full Nelson and Bearhug. What hurt this match compared to the great Bruno matches were the holds lasted longer and Putski does NOT possess the charisma and fire of Bruno. The two standout moments of the match were the shine which was due to Graham's bumping and stooging. In between the weird chinlock thingy and the Full Nelson, Putski hit the Polish Hammer to a MASSIVE POP and Graham's bump & sell was BITCHIN'! I would have positioned the Polish Hammer closer to the end. The finish was Graham broke the bearhug with eyerakes. They were colliding off the ropes and Graham used a back body drop to send Putski careening over the top rope crashing to the floor for the countout.

File this under I watched this so you didnt have to.