Pro Wrestling Only

[1970-09-14-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bruno Sammartino vs Beppo Mongol

paul sosnowski

Super hot crowd here, as to be expected with Bruno and a hot undefeated challenger. Not a lot to this one. Lots of matwork. Finish is a Bruno special, a criss cross spot leading to a mid-ring collision which sends Bruno careening to the outside onto a ringside table, leading to a countout win for Bepo. Next month would be a Texas Death match to complete Vince Sr booking 101. Like the tag, a cool historical curiosity, but not as fun 

• GSR changed the title to [1970-09-14-WWWF-MSG, NY] Bruno Sammartino vs Beppo Mongol
  • 4 years later...

Bruno defends his WWWF World Heavyweight Title against the future Nikolai Volkoff, known at the time as Beppo Mongol. I went in to this with low expectations picturing the early 80’s versions of both men having a slow plodding brawl but I am pleasantly surprised. This was a very fun 15 minute match with a very good pace. The Mongol character worked perfectly for Volkoff and he could absolutely work back then even though he was green. After a pretty intense crisscross spot Bruno takes a bump to the outside and can’t beat the count. I really wish we had the return on film as this match was very enjoyable. ***