1993-01-23-ECW/WWA Battle of the Belts

Loss

Eastern Championship Wrestling
World Wrestling Association
Battle of the Belts
January 23, 1993

No review yet.

1. WWA Junior Heavyweight Title: Ray Odyssey (c) vs Chris Evans
  2. WWA Tag Team Titles: Lords of Darkness (Agony & Pain) (c) vs Super Destroyers (Super Destroyer I & Super Destroyer II)
  3. Kerry Von Erich vs Salvatore Bellomo
  4. Bullrope Match: Johnny Hotbody vs Tony Stetson
  5. Davey Boy Smith vs Masked Superstar
  6. WWA Heavyweight Title/ECW Heavyweight Title: Sandman (c) vs Spider (c)
  7. I Quit Match: Terry Funk vs Eddie GilbertĀ 

Bold matches are PWO recommended.

From the Wrestling Observer, February 1, 1993 issue

1/23 Philadelphia (WWA/ECW - 670): Ray Odyssey b Chris Evans, ECW vs. WWA tag titles: Super Destroyers b Lords of Darkness (Barry Hardy & Dwayne Gill), Bullrope taped fist match: Johnny Hot Body b Tony Stetson, Davey Boy Smith b Superstar, Kerry Von Erich b Sal Bellomo, ECW vs. WWA title: Sandman DDQ Spider, Texas death I Quit match: Terry Funk b Eddie Gilbert ****3/4

As part of the convention, they held a joint ECW and WWA wrestling show at the hotel drawing 670 fans for a Terry Funk vs. Eddie Gilbert I Quit match, which saw Funk win a ****3/4 match. After the match, Gilbert claimed he didn't quit, and then attacked co-promoter Dennis Coraluzzo saying that he'd been ripped off and lied to by so many promoters as he had his foot over Coraluzzo's throat. Funniest story from the card was they asked Von Erich to fill in for Sullivan against Sal Bellomo. Von Erich was supposed to wear a mask as Woman's secret weapon. Von Erich went to the ring wearing the mask, but had a ring jacket with "Kerry" on the back. As silly as that sounds, he was stopped backstage before he got out and someone told him that his name was on the ring jacket and he's supposed to be a masked guy so take the jacket off. Von Erich took the jacket off, walked about ten yards, seemingly forgot, put the jacket back on, and then went through the entrance way to the crowd and worked about a 1:00 match. Another highlight was a unification match between ECW champ Sandman and WWA champ Spider (Glen Ruth). Co-promoters of the show Tod Gordon and Coraluzzo was in their respective corner and they did a finish where the promoters got into it and the wrestlers from each promotion brawled with the other after the non-decision.

Larry Sharpe, who is still Coraluzzo's business partner in the WWA, wasn't involved with the card because he had his piece of the show bought out.