Pro Wrestling Only

Poll for 11/11/06; Your prefered booking style

Guest HTQ

Which style of booking do you prefer to see the most?  

1. 1.

• Character Based
    • Crash TV
    • Hoss Based
    • Normal
    • Star Power
    • Talent First
    • Youth Energy

Guest The Original HTQ

Everyone has a style of booking they prefer to see in their wrestling more then others. Some people like a lot of characters, while others want things kept moving at a frantic pace, whilst others might want to see the more talented workers in a company pushed to the forefront. Which style of booking do you like the most? Why do you like it? What about it makes you prefer it above the others?

I like the good kind myself. I voted character, because it was the closest thing I could come up with. I'm not sure I've ever seen Hoss Based Booking. Even WWE with their Big Man obsession understands the value of guys like Chris Benoit, Fit Finlay, Rey Misterio, etc and puts them in roles where they are meaningful, even if they don't build the company around them.

I don't know if I've ever seen a US promotion book strictly on talent.  Maybe ROH or the NWA in the mid 80s but even that's a stretch.

I would say a combination of character and normal.  Building strong characters might be the most important facet of wrestling. It was Steve Austin the character, not the wrestler, that became the biggest star in wrestling.  Fans might appreciate good wrestling, but you need to know what the wrestler is feeling and his motives in order to create an emotional attachment.  Then I would combine that with normal "wins and losses" booking.  Big wins should be talked about *much* more.  The work doesn't have to be great as long as you emphasize competition and results.