Pro Wrestling Only

Lesson learned: Don't watch RAW

Loss

I thought Flair and HHH hated each other because HHH beat him up for what seemed like hours last year on the Homecoming Raw, and they had a bloody feud that lasted several months. Are we supposed to assume that Flair has forgiven him or just forget that all that never happened? Considering the beatdown HHH gave him a year ago, what could make Edge and Orton think they're going to get under DX's skin by doing something not even quite as bad this time around?

For that matter, did they ever explain why Shawn Michaels and HHH, after years and years of feuding, suddenly became friends? Of course, there's no problem with former foes becoming partners. It has happened many times to great effect in wrestling. But acknowledging that they are former foes and coming up with a reason to put them together, be it circumstance or mutual respect or whatever, should be done to explain things. Yes, you can infer that's why DX got together, but they should actually explain why they're suddenly friends again.

It just got me thinking about how quickly people switch alliances in WWE and how it almost never goes explained. Edge and Orton are apparently a team that exists to combat DX. Would it kill them to mention that Edge ended Orton's long reign as IC champ a few years ago and he never won the belt again, which also in a way contributed to Orton's downward spiral? Edge and Michaels have history, Edge and Orton have history, HHH and Michaels have history, HHH and Orton have history, Edge and Flair have history, Orton and Flair have history, Michaels and Flair have history, HHH and Flair have history and Michaels and Orton have history. With some of the backstory tied into the current feud, they might be able to garner some interest in all of this. That doesn't get into the issue of no one ever getting a one up on DX, but that's a known problem, and people talk about that enough anyway.

For that matter, and it's possible I've missed this, has Edge acknowledged Lita's departure at all? It's a shame her last night was last night, because the Hardyz having their big reunion and winning the tag titles from Edge and Orton with Lita in the corner of the heels would make an interesting dynamic. Lita helping the Hardyz win the belts might even make a memorable final showing for her. It's her way of saying she's sorry to Matt.

Gah, I have to stop.

Guest The Original HTQ

WWE writing is always full of holes. They have the mentality that you're not meant to think about things too much so they don't even try in most cases to cover even the most glaring of plot holes. That kind of thinking and the writing it encourages makes it very hard to really get emotionally involved into any of the characters or storylines and it's why virtually any reaction anything gets is superficial at best.

At Survivor Series, why did Cryme Tyme tell Todd Grisham that he had seen nothing and heard nothing when they came of Lita's dressing room, but they ignored the camera that was filming all of this and broadcasting it to the world?

Where was Edge while Cryme Tyme were humiliating her in front of the world? He mentioned her the next night on Raw, briefly, and he was positive towards her, so why wasn't he out there to do something about it? He didn't even mentioned what happened to Lita with Cryme Tyme, so did it even matter what they did if Edge not only didn't care enough to stop it but he didn't care enough to at least warn Cryme Tyme they'd pay for it?

If DX and co were throwing a big party to celebrate Ric Flair, why did they leave him behind at the arena all alone? And how far away was this party? Far enough that they couldn't make it back in time to attack Edge and Orton at the end of show? Did nobody watching Raw call DX and co and tell them what was going on so they could come back and do something?

Speaking the attack on Flair, are DX and the legend's Flair's only friends in the entire world? Where was someone to help Flair? Lawler was going on about how evil the attack was, but he just sat there with his thumb up his ass and let it happen. He's left the commentary table before to stop shit from happening. Why not now? What makes it so that Lawler can interfere on one occasion and not the next?

I can only surmise that WWE have an official Incontinuity Editor, to make sure that the writing has as many holes and flaws in logic as humanly possible.

I thought they did a pretty good job with the Edge/Orton team by having Edge acknowledge they've fought in the past but they should put it aside because they've both been screwed by DX.

Speaking of, I was much more annoyed by the whole "ship the Spirit Squad back to OVW" segment. What a complete waste of young talent compounded by having the two most politically powerful folks in the company decimate them at every turn and almost literally bury them on TV. Talk about Russoish shooty angles, does any of the average RAW viewership even know what OVW is? HHH and HBK must really have small penises that they're compensating for, I don't think I ever recall guys at the top going out of their way to bury people who posed so little threat to their position.

Maybe HBK heard all the talk about Johnny Jeter in OVW being Shawn Michaels-like and wanted to nip that foolishness in the bud.

Having said that, all 5 members will probably show up on RAW in the next couple weeks under new names with no mention of their past.

Loss even forgot about Cena and HHH teaming up the week before (albeit, he focused on stuff this week) in spite of the two having a feud which resulted in headlining WrestleMania this year.

Heck, all of the above makes me long for anything back in the day involving HHH and Jericho. For all the brew-ha-ha about HHH and Jericho, at least the two have always had continuity. The odd time the two teamed up (such as in late 2002), there was always that sense of old hatred between the two and that reluctancy to team up. You don't get any of that continuity (or almost any continuity period) today.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of that was Jericho working his own angle because he had his guard rightfully up by that point when he was around Trips. But yeah, they did occasionally write things to play up that even as heels who had to team sometimes because they didn't have a choice, they would never be friends.

And I don't even expect major continuity. But doesn't Edge and Orton defending the tag titles against the Hardy Boyz on RAW with Lita leaving just scream angle?

You know, HHH and HBK were off my radar for a while, but yet again RAW ends with the two of them laying out Kenny. I'm fully back on the HHHate bandwagon. Hell, I'll drive the mf'er at this point.

Honestly, this is quickly becoming Hogan/Nash in WCW level ridiculous. What purpose does it serve for them to lay out Kenny again this week other than to remind people that despite not being in the Spirit Squad outfit, this guy's still a jobber? Maybe it's because I watched Jeter and Doane in OVW and was impressed at what they had to offer, but this complete and total burial of guys who are supposed to be the next era of stars is really getting under my skin.

What makes it worse is that SmackDown has had a fairly easy time getting new stars over. Taker made Mr. Kennedy look like a million bucks by taking a beatdown, you think HHH would do that for some up and comer? I'm not saying Kenny should win the WWE title next week, but Jesus Christ, can't he at least get the upper hand for one segment so he can gain a smidge of cred?