Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-27-WWF-Shotgun Saturday Night] Terry Funk & Bradshaw & Dustin Rhodes vs Too Much & Jerry Lawler

ButchReedMark

From an epsiode of Shotgun taped in deepest darkest Texas, the WWF throw us a C-Show classic as Texas takes on Tennessee in a six man.

If I can call this match one thing, it's just fun. They aren't reinventing the wheel, they aren't doing anything out of the ordinary, but it's possibly the best sub-10 minute match I've seen. Everything hits. From the call backs to Funk vs Lawler, to Dustin Runnels playing firey babyface instead of the religous heel he was on TV, to Too Much stooging everywhere, and Bradshaw looking probably the most badass he ever has as Too Much fly around for him. Everything works. A fantastic bout.

Massively recommended

• GSR changed the title to [1998-06-27-WWF-Shotgun Saturday Night] Terry Funk & Bradshaw & Dustin Rhodes vs Too Much & Jerry Lawler

Heeeyy it's the one really good WWF TV match in 1998 and of course I have to watch a grainy version with spanish commentary. Bradshaw gets to look like a badass, Too Much stooge perfectly, and the Lawler/Funk interactions were just awesome.  Apparently this was the only time Lawler made a TV match in 1998. Travesty.

• 1 year later...

This was a hidden gem from WWF's C-show. Watching this Texas crowd go apeshit for Funk once he's tagged in warmed my cold heart. Funk and Lawler were obviously great here, but Bradshaw really shone in this match. He looked like a hulking monster babyface mauling Too Much. A super fun match, with a great finish which sees poor Brian Christopher get his head lariat'd off after he gets too confident after ducking under a prior Funk/Rhodes double clothesline.

★★★½