Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-02-17-WWE-Elimination Chamber] The Rock vs CM Punk

Loss

• 1 year later...

Their Royal Rumble match was already disappointing, so the expectations weren't high for this 2nd meeting between the two, but even then, this was extremely disappointing. Like I said, the expectations weren't high, but I sure wanted it to be better than it ended up being. Punk pretty much dominates most of the match, and sadly & disappointingly, he just isn't interesting at all with it. Very uncharacteristic for the man, and then there's The Rock who just pretty much brings nothing to the table. If I had to say one thing I liked about this, it would be the count out tease after Punk's Rock Bottom -- that was some nice drama & worked well within the stipulation of the match. Other than that hot minute or two, the 20 or so these two went felt like 40. Not a good match at all. The Rumble match is far superior, and that one is certainly nothing-to-write-home-about either. *3/4

• 3 years later...

There are only two positive moments here. The first one is the very beginning, where Rock and Punk take some time to have an extended feel out into the first collar-and-elbow; unlike the first match, Rock isn't coming in hurt, so they contrast the immediate brawling that kicks off the first match with a much more tentative and strategic opening. The second positive beat is the clever callback to the failed table spot from the Rumble match: Punk hits a Rock Bottom on the table and it doesn't break, giving Punk a perfect moment to fly back into the ring and play for a countout (and a title win, thanks to the screwy stipulations).

Unfortunately, the Rock doesn't really milk the count-out on Punk's Rock Bottom and even blows the initial sell by looking up to say something to the ring crew or the announcers right in front of the camera. Punk isn't innocent here either, as he mugs for the crowd after an early shoulder tackle and phones in an alarming portion of the match with an Orton-esque diet of chinlocks.  

The whole thing is just a total disaster; multiple referees are harmed in this production. Big ups to the 2nd ref, tough, who somehow rolls his ankle under Punk in the ring, hobbles outside of the ring and then proceeds to sell it like he had lost his whole damn foot in an industrial accident. Moments later, the Rock wins after a second Rock Bottom and the crowd is mostly apathetic. DUD